Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pizza Bento!

Pizza Bento! by sherimiya ♥
Pizza Bento!, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I haven't used my Keroppi sandwich bento in a long time; it's nice for certain foods that are large and bulky - like sandwiches. I used to pack bánh mì in the top portion for MisterMan in summertimes past. Today I used the extra-tall part to pack a pizza for TinySprite. This one is homemade with arugula, sauteed mushroom and zucchini and melty cheesy toppings on a gluten-free crust. I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza dough mix for the first time. It's very, um, different than regular pizza dough. If you weren't exactly sure what gluten is or does to baked goods, try this pizza dough and you'll understand. For one thing, it's not stretchy or elastic at all. It's also very wet and doesn't stick together very well. While I was rolling pressing it out, I wondered how in the world this was going to make a pizza. It came out pretty nicely crispy though, and held up to the toppings very well. I think the trick is to press it as thin as possible. TS loved it, so that's what matters! On the bottom section I gave her some cottage cheese with sunflower seeds, by her request, and some carrots, strawberry and blackberries. Gluten-free experiment seems to be progressing quite well!

7 comments:

  1. Pizza Bento is my favorite and has not been any week I have not tasted it. Thanks dude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pizza looks yummy, make me hungry..!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that flour at the store the other day and wondered about it...it was so expensive, nearly ten dollars for a small bag (wow). I love your so healthy pizza ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it costs about $5 a bag, but you can make two big pizzas with it, so not too bad. I'm going to try making my own dough next time; we'll see if it turns out any good :D
      Thanks bentowa!

      Delete