Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken Sausage Zucchini Bento

First bento back after a long President's Day holiday weekend. Ours was kind of tiring: my hubz was working all weekend, MisterMan had a Kung Fu rehearsal and demonstration at City Hall, and I wanted to make a video with the kids since we had such beautiful weather. That may sound unremarkable, but it's a lot more "eventful" when you have no video-editing experience. Let's just say I'm exhausted after the weekend and am actually very happy to see it end for once! This double bento requires no real cooking; just a quick stir fry with sliced sweet chicken sausages, zucchini, mushrooms and kabocha squash. I put a couple of raw carrots in there, a spotted "mushroom" radish, lightly steamed broccoli and an array of fruit: strawberry, oranges and grapes. I finished both bento in half an hour. Woo! The radish was the most time-consuming because I actually couldn't remember how I cut the stem. I ended up whittling it so it had a nice flared edge. But the rest of the food was pretty much just tossed in. This is when the divided boxes really come in handy; you don't have to think about arrangement at all but it still comes out looking nice and neat. I likes that!

10 comments:

  1. woohoo..love the radish..
    and i agree with you about the divided box ...
    it is so convenient :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yenny; that radish is easy. Just the way I like it. And I really should use this awesome box more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri, your double bento looks perfect! Love your divided boxes ♥ The only divided boxes that I have are from Lock and Lock. And they are so deep, ended up put too much food before. Almost forgot to mention ... the tiny radish mushroom is an awesome work! (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lia; even when there's no energy I can still manage the radish without thinking. Yay! I have the Lock and Lock too, don't use unless I have a big item like bao or something. You're right it's too deep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous of these bentos! They look delicious! Hope your week is less tiring than the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the radish too! Man, I have compartmentalized bento boxes and I can't just 'toss' stuff in there and make it look half as good as your bentos. Trust me! lol. You just have that special touch. Do we get to see the video?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divided boxes are so handy, you fill them up with perfection! Everything looks so fresh and delicious... love the fruit compartment! A mini fruit salad !
    Ah... and the tiny mushroom... ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling fresh bentos, in love with the vivid cute mushroom and all the fresh yumminess. Another fan of divided bento boxes here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful (and nutritious) bento.. may I ask you where you got the chicken sausage? It looks yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Heather! So far, it's much better :)
    Chantale, Toss & Go -- you'd be surprised how much I use that method. Um, I sure hope you don't see the video; haha! Maybe when I figure out how to use the software I can make something you won't fall asleep to (droning on and on really benefits from some cut and paste!) :D
    Thanks karaimame! So sweet :)
    Thank you Bentobird. These boxes really are awesome!
    Raquel's mom, Trader Joe's carries a large variety of these sausages that are vinegar-cured and nitrite-free. Pretty low in fat too, and tasty! Hope you can find some :)

    ReplyDelete