Thursday, January 28, 2010

Penguin Bento Part Two


Penguin Bento 2, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
I saw the penguin theme has been taken up by hapa bento and The Blogging Mum; take a look to see some very cute penguins in bento there!

Well, TinySprite liked her penguin so much she wanted to see more, so I decided to make some for her brother. I had black (Forbidden) rice, so I thought I would make some penguin musubi. I made two small rice balls and cut faces out of egg white omelet. I used a small sharp knife and cut semi-heart shapes but the egg was very fragile so it's not very exact. I used nori for the eyes and carrot for the beaks. There's a boy and a girl. Can you tell? Well, okay; they're not very penguin-y. We'll see what MisterMan says.

In the back there's Korean barbeque chicken, which I roasted in the oven and sprinkled sesame seeds over, in a lettuce cup. I also stuck some romanesco and baby carrots in the spaces. Fruit side has the last of the strawberries, a mini mandarin and some kumquats underneath.

13 comments:

  1. great penguins (the little girl is batting her eyelashes!), and nice cutting on the carrots! i'm dying to try some of that forbidden rice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that is so cute! The little penguin girl looks so lovely and demure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, very cute pingus :D. Love the idea of using black rice balls instead of nori "hood" hehe *great new idea Sheri*. I love again with what you did with the little orange :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute penguins, nice touch with eye lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks megan! I hope you can find the Forbidden Rice; I think you would really like it. It's chewy and kinda nutty flavored.

    Thanks Susan!

    Hi tatabonita! So sweet of you; I'm thinking they look like owls though!

    Thanks Pete!

    Thanks javapot, always wanted to make a girl with eyelashes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so adoreabel and cute <3 <3 <3 My sister was standing behind me and she wanted me to make her a bento like that. what the hell, I mean, she is 18 years old and can't make bento on her own *sigh* thx for that wunderfol inspiration, :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penguin love, bento love! This is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You set the trend of the penguin bento hehehe ... the part 2 is adorable. Wonderful idea Sheri! I will be waiting for part 3, part 4 patiently :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, cute^^ They look so nice. And delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! Token, your sister is a smart one; yours are so cute maybe she can get you to make one for her :)

    Thank you bentobird, so sweet!

    Thank you Lia...penguins are done for me, I think. I'll look forward to everyone else's version :)

    Thanks a lot Lil'chan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable once again!!! I love seeing all of the cute penguin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jenn!! I love YOUR penguin today too!

    ReplyDelete