Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Masala Thermal Bento

Now that it's cold and rainy again, it feels like time for thermal bento. What happened to pre-summer? Today I dusted off the thermal Stanley food jar and packed it with rice and chicken masala with onions and almonds. I forgot about the school's no-nuts policy (oops) -- if your school has a similar restriction, remember to leave them out. This flavorful chicken isn't too spicy for kids, since it doesn't call for any cayenne pepper, and it's plenty tasty for adults too. I made mine in the slow cooker with chicken broth and garam masala powder, and a yogurt thickened sauce. It only took a few hours, but it meant that I could leave the house for school pickup and not have to worry about it. I also packed a little separate bowl with oranges, the first cherries of the season, purple carrots, grape tomato and broccoli. Come on Spring! ^_^

5 comments:

  1. Yummy bento! Love the fresh cherries ♥ Always so expensive here. My kids' previous school didn't allow chocolate and nuts in kids' lunch box. But current school doesn't have any restriction policy for foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! I love chicken masala and your thermal bento set sure warm my heart for rainy afternoon lunch :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously need to get myself a slow cooker, your meals are so delish looking! I also like the variety of fruits and veggies you packed separately. Mmm.. I can't wait for summer to get here too! It's freaking cold here in the YUL! Cold, rainy.. I need a big rice bowl of something today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masala chicken sounds yummy! Always love your bright, colorful bentos of fruits & veg! Too bad my girls don't really like to have fruits in their bentos :(
    They only love eating them at home.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lia, thanks! Cherries are grown here, but they're still expensive compared to other local fruit. The kids like them though. We don't have a chocolate restriction though there are quite a few allergic kids.

    Thanks Cuisine Paradise!

    Chantale, I love the slow cooker. Really, it's like someone was cooking for you all day. Love it! Thanks :)

    Thanks ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ ! My daughter would prefer ONLY fruits in her bento. Haha!

    ReplyDelete