Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fish Tacos and Hello Kitty Bao Bento

Fish tacos, without the tacos, is what I packed for MisterMan in the 4-square bento, and I think it's what I packed in this box the last time too. There's grilled cod with lemon pepper on a bed of lettuce wraps, cabbage tossed with chopped cara cara oranges for citrus zest and topped with cilantro and green onions, a veggie cup with broccoli, yellow cauliflower, carrot, kabocha and peapods, and a fruit cup with grapes, blueberries and strawberry. Looks kinda nice and fancy, even, when you lay it out like this, right?
TinySprite asked for char siu bao Hello Kitty. I said, "Again?" But when I went back to see how many I'd done already, I couldn't find a single one. Could that be right? Am I missing something? I remember going through a huge Hello Kitty phase over the summer, but for some reason I never used baked char siu bao. The closest I could find was the steamed one here. So here we go: the first ever HK char siu bao. I whipped her out in a couple minutes; still not out of practice yet! I got a bow cutter from my cousin that I used with watermelon radish, then poked blueberries for eyes, carrot for nose, and purple carrots for whiskers. And cut two triangular slits for ears. Done! I thought it would be cute to add a separate HK box for the fruit and veggies. Awwww... ^_^

9 comments:

  1. You are sure the queen of cute bao! OMG that HK bao is so adorable, great details! And I envy MM for his colorful bento :D If I have to bake my own bao, I don't think the dough will rise properly after baking bwahaha ... Wish you a great weekend ahead Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lia, but you know I didn't bake it myself right? Not quite that ambitious, especially since I can buy it so easily at the corner market. Haha!
    Great weekend to you all too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lia said it best! You ARE the queen of bao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Queen of Bao. :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MM´s bento is beautiful! Loved the four-square box :)
    Ah.. "since I can buy it so easily at the corner market"-bao? I should move to SF ^^. Adorable HK... yep, you are my queen of minis and baos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true, you ARE the queen of the char siu bao! I'm writing down and noting all these amazing ideas.. summer is coming up and I'll be forced to make lunches every day again. By then, I'm hoping to get all these amazingly fresh and gorgeous fruit you always add to your bentos! What a chic bento for Mister man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bento is always a rainbow of colorful healthy fruit, veggie, and food :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the four square box - do you happen to know where it's from? M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debra, mama elaine, karaimame, Chantale, tatabonita, and Marfio....

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete