Monday, February 28, 2011

Curry Thermal Bento


Curry Thermal Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Tonight I made curry with chicken, zucchini, onion, celery, and Indian squash. I only had medium-hot so I kept the consistency on the watery side so it wouldn't be too hot for the kids. I served it to them over rice and they loved it. I later realized it would be good for curry udon, if we had any leftovers. I'll have to remember for next time. I packed in the Stanley thermal food jar, which I really like for its heat-retention capacity. I actually did a comparison of this jar and the Zojirushi Classic bento jar and was not too surprised to learn that this one was much better at keeping the contents hot after several hours. It also has the benefit of being smaller and less unwieldy than the much larger Zojirushi. However, I had to pack the cool items in a separate bowl. This is my stainless steel bowl (Daiso) that comes with a tight-fitting plastic lid: I was able to fit in some blood oranges, a mini Fuji apple, some blueberries and a carrot. This bento will keep him warm and satisfied on a cold school day.

15 comments:

  1. Curry udon sounds like a great idea - I'll have to keep it in mind too! Did you put rice underneath the curry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but you certainly could. You could also put the rice on top of the curry if you don't want it to get soggy, and then mix together right before eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband is a fan of Zojirushi :)
    however, I worry if this jar is too heavy for my twins..but I understand the jar itself is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Zojirushi is great for taking a variety of stuff separately, so I can understand that. My boy can handle the Zo but it's likely to get swung around and possibly damaged since the outer case is plastic. Maybe when he's a bit older :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot curry for lunch= Yum! The curry looks delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious curry! And curry udon sounds wonderful for bento too. Too bad my kids don't like udon as much as they like other type of noodles :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mm.. what kind of curry did you use? Looks so good! I also love how you compare and give us the deets on different containers. My mom used to make us curry over noodles but I prefer it the old fashioned rice way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I've never heard of curry udon. That sounds great, I love udon noodles! It's pretty awesome that your little ones will eat warm lunches with a thermal bento. A-chan won't eat anything until it is room temp :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheri, I am new in bento making. I've just started a few days ago, but I do enjoy making bento very much!! Your bentos all look lovely and creative :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think about making curry udon with the leftovers of curry... then I forget! Doh, now I am out of udon noodles. :P
    *thumbs up* for stainless steel! Guarantee it wont get stained by the curry! Delish....

    ReplyDelete
  11. excellent blog! Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious curry, nice lunch pack idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Lia! Love curry udon, but surely you can choose other noodles as well. I like curry ramen too :)
    Chantale, I used Golden Curry but have also made it from powder too. I love curry rice too; so good. Thanks!
    Natakiya, it's great to have a taste for RT food. My boy actually doesn't have a preference, which I though was kind of strange, and my girl doesn't like her food "too hot". Thanks :)
    Cooking Gallery, thanks! Welcome to bento; you'll have a lot of fun, I'm sure :)
    Thanks karaimame! Yes, the stainless steel has really impressed me. Love to use it a lot.
    Thanks Egg104 and Umm Mymoonah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, all of your creations are SOOO unbelievably cute!!! Adopt me as your kid so I can get one of these bentos!! Too adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha!
    How sweet. Thanks very much LittleAsianGirlBigAppetite :)

    ReplyDelete