Thursday, May 3, 2012

Children's Day (こどもの日, Kodomo no hi) Bento

Happy Children's Day (こどもの日, Kodomo no hi)! The 5th day of the 5th month used to be called Boys' Day (with Girls' Day falling on the 3rd day of the 3rd month) when I was a kid growing up in Hawaii, but now it has been generalized to include all children. I will always think of this day as boys' day, though, symbolized by the carp. I made gluten-free pepperoni pizzas to commemorate. This is the same dough I used last time, pressed into a fish shape before topping with cheddar cheese, quartered pepperoni scales, and a zucchini/pepperoni/mozzarella/kale eye. Underneath this fish pizza is a regular shaped pizza topped with shredded kale, julienned zucchini, pepperoni and cheese, and in the top tier of this EcoLunchBox is cottage cheese/sunflower seeds/wheat germ, blood oranges, strawberries and blackberries, and carrots. Happy Children's Day to all the littles out there!

2 comments:

  1. I love the addition of wheat germ and the cute carp, Sheri! ^^ I still consider this day to be Boy's Day (and Cinco De Mayo...heh) but I remember that my grandmother considered it as both what with having almost a dozen kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dozen kids? Yow! It'll always be Boys' Day to me too... thanks a lot AikoVenus. Hope you enjoyed a wonderful Boys' Day!

      Delete