Monday, October 8, 2012

Mochiko Chicken Slender Bento

How is it Monday already? I don't think I sat down at all today until just now. Too much weekend excess, I think -- how about you? Well, here's a bento to get the kids going: their favorite mochiko chicken (oven roasted version). Just stick a few piece in a bento box along with a smattering of extras, and that's pretty much a wrap. Just how I like a Monday to go! I can't believe we still had a pluot left; those Flavor Kings were my favorite summer eats this year, and man do I miss them already. We have some plums on the counter now, but they're just not the same. This box is one tier of a double stainless box set I got from Bento & Co, and it's just the right size for TinySprite. I like how the broccoli, carrots and Okinawan sweet potato squeeze in there to keep everything snugly in place. I secure the lid with an elastic felt band and she is good to go!

10 comments:

  1. Love the oven roasted chicken, Sheri
    I think I need to try this.
    I am quite bored with fried chicken in a meantime :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous bento Sheri! Oh, such an elegant, grown up box for Tiny Sprite, man, they grow up so fast I can't even blink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much berrygirl .... you're right, they grow up way too fast!!

      Delete
  3. I love all of your color in this box! Our fruit selection has already dwindled drastically. :( I haven't made your mochiko chicken in far too long! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it's gonna be oranges every day pretty soon....

      hehehe!
      Thanks Ohayobento :)

      Delete
  4. Can you tell me where you find those purple sweet potatos? I've never seen them in America, I am going to the Asian Market in town this week - could you suggest some basic bento foods to get? I always go in and get so overwhelmed with all the foods I just get noodles! lol

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get mine at the Asian grocery; they look whitish on the outside and might be labeled as Okinawan sweet potato or purple sweet potato. I usually pick up whatever looks fresh that day; cucumbers, radish, broccoli, all kinds of fruit, tofu (if you eat it), okra, bean sprouts. You can toss them in a stirfry, pickle them, or add to fried rice or omelet. Since I make small bento, I don't need a lot of items; just a few. So it's fun to try out a big variety and see what you like. Have fun!

      Delete
  5. Yummy elegance and good cheer as always. I love visiting here on a busy day for the uplift, Sheri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the uplift as always, Bentobird! You're always there with a sweet word for me :D XOX

      Delete