Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tebasaki Chicken Wings Bento

This is another TinySprite bento from last week. She got her favorite salt grilled chicken wings (recipe here), of which she can eat massive quantities. If you make these, be sure to make an extra large batch so there will be enough for bento. They taste best fresh, hot and crispy, but the kids do love to eat them at room temp just as well. The adult version has Japanese seven spice pepper (shichimi togarashi) sprinkled liberally, which makes it mouthwateringly delicious for spice lovers. Make sure to pack lots of napkins, as the eating will be messy. She also gets carved carrots, steamed Okinawan sweet potato flower shapes, broccoli, strawberries and blueberries. Simple, colorful, and tasty!

11 comments:

  1. wow..i can have that anytime of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will eat the whole dozens of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri, I think I can finish them all by myself. Looks very delicious! Definitely have to make extra large batch (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot wings fans Xelia, Yenny, Lia and Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, I'm a big fan of wings!!! I used to love when my mom put chicken wings in my bento... It was very nostalgic bento today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, how sweet! Now you can do the same for your daughter :D Thanks Nami!

    ReplyDelete
  7. erisgrrrl@yahoo.comAugust 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

    I love that the purple potato is in nearly every bento you make! I look for yours in the flickr pools by that signature! :D How do you keep it so nice and purple? Mine always ends up looking pale or blue-ish...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks erisgrrrl!
    I suppose you're right; we do eat a lot of purple sweet potato, and I love the intense color it adds to bento. The ones I use aren't regular purple potatoes, but rather Okinawan sweet potato. They are white-skinned rather than purple outside. I choose smallish ones, and steam them whole until they are semi-tender, around 20-30 minutes depending on how big they are. Let them cool slightly, then slice. I find the color gets darker the next day, after refrigeration, as well. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete