Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken Wings Bento and Recipe


 Chicken Wings Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today both kids get Tebasaki (grilled chicken wings with sea salt), which I made using a recipe adapted from my twitter friend LovelyLanvin. When she told me there were only three ingredients and a single pan, well -- how could I resist? You know how much I love quick and easy cooking! I made these wings for dinner, and they were crispy salty fresh & hot out-of-the-oven just as advertised, but the kids didn't mind packing them for lunch to eat later at room temp. Although the recipe calls for shichimi togarashi (seven pepper mix) I omitted that for the kids' portions. It's still very tasty without it. I made a few changes, maybe because my broiler isn't as hot:

Tebasaki (Grilled Chicken Wings with Sea Salt)      [adapted from LovelyLanvin]
2 pounds chicken wings
Sea salt
Shichimi togarashi

Rinse the chicken wings, drain, and pat dry. Place them in a tray and put into refrigerator uncovered to dry out further.
Preheat broiler, remove wings from refrigerator and salt them generously on both sides.
When the broiler is hot, place tray on broiler rack about 6 inches from heat.
Watch to make sure they don't burn, and when nice and brown (recipe says 5-7 minutes) turn to crisp other side. Note: My broiler took longer; I let them cook about 15 minutes each side. Also, my wings dripped grease into the pan so I actually drained the pan a couple times during cooking. I wonder whether I could use a rack inside the tray next time?
Remove from broiler, sprinkle with shichimi togarashi, and serve hot!
Anyway, they were delicious! So thanks a lot for sharing the method Shirley!
The rest of MisterMan's bento contains roasted kabocha, carved carrots, steamed broccoli and fresh cherry tomatoes. The stunning citrus is blood orange, which we discovered at the farmers markets this past weekend. Yay for new produce! There are also some grapes and blueberries.
TinySprite has a grouchy steamed char siu bao, steamed broccoli, carrot and a chicken drummette. Her fruits include some Cara Cara oranges (another farmers market find!) and grapes. Thanks Susan for the supercute picks!
Linked at What's For Lunch. Take a look to see what everyone else is having!

22 comments:

  1. Tee hee! Too cute.

    As for the chicken...I love easy too. Will have to give this recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, my kids love chicken wings too....
    Cute bentos and the foodpicks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debra. Super easy and delish!

    Thanks Yenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their cute and pretty! My eyes are suffuced as well as my tummy. The chicken wiings are sure easy to prepare! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finger lickin good wings!! Fly some here!! The oranges looks very juicy and yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm.. I must give Shirley´s recipe a go too.. (imagining my fingers getting messed while I eat the wings... :9). Looks so easy!
    Ah... Can I tell you that I loved the grouchy char siu bao? So cute! I think it was yesterday night I was dreaming about eating nikuman... And you post these delicious bentos...
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chicken wings look gorgeous! Poor grouchy char siu bao, he hates winter I think hehehe ... Did you make your own char siu bao Sheri?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken sounds so good. And the blood orange always attracts my attention since I never find it in my whole life :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks aionaccount, Xelia, karaimame, Lia and tatabonita! Finger-licking good.
    The blood oranges are cool-looking, but not as sweet as regular ones, or Cara cara (my favorite). Hope you can find those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Yum! I think I'll try this this weekend, see what the Mister thinks of them. Looks sooo amazing here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I've never known what the heck that brown pick was supposed to be. Thanks for being my bento pick teacher, Sheri. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chantale,
    They're crispy crunchy and spicy. Winning combo, heh. Thanks!

    Pikko, that's too funny. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of blood oranges. How do they taste?

    ReplyDelete
  14. fairy-whispers, blood oranges are a bit tart and unusual tasting. Not as sweet as regular oranges. I hope you can find some to try for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks. I'll watch out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forgot to mention; they look just exactly like regular oranges on the outside, so be sure to look for the label. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the recipe. I tried it the other day...somehow yours still looks better. hehe. Hope you don't mind but I linked your recipe on my site. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great Mrs.P! Thanks for the link too. Glad it came out well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love the things you do, it's delicious for eyes, it's artistic! GReat job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made this for my happy little family tonight and they fought over the last wing. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete