Thursday, August 4, 2011

Panda Ravioli Bento

Panda Ravioli Bento by sherimiya ♥
Panda Ravioli Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
It's a panda panda bento! These are organic spinach and feta ravioli that I lay atop some lettuce and added a nori face to. I had to hand-cut everything since I don't have the right size punches for any of these features. In fact, I don't have a panda face punch at all. Can you believe it? This bento is for TinySprite. She gets a partial corn on the cob (mainly because the whole piece wouldn't fit), Okinawan sweet potatoes, carrots, and some fruit in the top tier (dinosaur plum, cherries, grapes, raspberries and blackberry. I barely got this one to close, but it was secured with an elastic belt. She loved it. It came home empty, for the first time in a while. Yay!

11 comments:

  1. Cute panda and I love the dinosaur plum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable. <3 Now that's how you pack a lunch!


    http://thesexylittleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh so cute! Ravioli panda, too adorable to eat! I've never heard of dinosaur plum, looks sweet. Ah, loving looking back at all the HLB bentos I've missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you site. I featured your pancake on my back to school breakfast this am. Stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chantale! Glad you had a fantastic break :D

    Thanks a lot Laura! Appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! So, I'm new to this whole bento making for my almost 3 years old who just started preschool last week and have some questions that I hope you can answer. :)

    1. do you make your bentos the night before or the morning of?

    2. my daughter's school does not refrigerate or heat up lunches. so i'm wondering, does the ravioli get hard without any sauce on it? what about rice/onigiri that's been packed the night before?

    3. do you pack your bentos with ice bags? i put my daughter's bento in an insulated lunch bag. sometimes i use an ice pack and other times i don't. she leaves the house around 8am and i believe they eat lunch at 11 or 12. so food should be ok left out right? mayo, boiled eggs, cooked meat, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you prep the sweet potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah,
    I usually make mine the night before, unless I'm packing a hot thermal bento, in which case I'll heat it up in the morning, then pour it into the thermal jar. Most of the foods I prepare are meant to be eaten at room temperature so there's no need to heat them up.
    If you use an airtight box, your food shouldn't get hard or dried out. If you are concerned, you may wrap certain items in plastic or wax wrap to seal in the moisture. I do that with spring rolls. You should definitely wrap onigiri if you make them the night before.
    I don't normally use an ice pack, since the temperatures here don't get too high. Like you, my kids take their bento out at 8am and eat by 12. Most cooked food will keep well for a few hours. I don't use mayo, but if there's a question, I would definitely use an ice pack.
    Hope this helps!

    I steam the Okinawan sweet potatoes whole, then slice. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete