Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Sushi Bento

Summer Sushi Bento by sherimiya ♥
Summer Sushi Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
Our summer sunshine came back today, which put us in the mood for some cool food. I hadn't made sushi for awhile, and I have the perfect bento box for it, so I decided to make a roll for MisterMan. His has krab, cucumber and omelet, plus furikake, inside. One roll fits just about exactly on each side of this cute 2-roll box, but I elected to pack the other side with broccoli, Rainier cherries, blackberries, a little strawberry, carrots, and the delicious Flavor Rosa pluots. This variety is my favorite pluot this season. The flesh (like the skin) is dark red - almost black - and it's extremely juicy and sweet. I've seen my favorite variety from last year (Dapple Dandy) but the batch I got wasn't quite sweet enough. Maybe they'll come through later in the season. I added some edamame in the little side section that's meant to contain either wasabi or ginger, and I packed it all up with a pair of chopsticks in the center slot. Cute, right? The lid (which I forgot to show) is even domed to accomodate the cylindrical sushi. I also have one half this size, which holds one roll and one pair of chopsticks. So handy ^_^

14 comments:

  1. Oooh, I just love eating sushi for lunch! It's so refreshing and you can have so many different varieties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah so lovely...i missed all your bento posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! It's the perfect finger food for my kids too. Thanks AikoVenus :)

    Thanks Xelia! Missed you too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with this box. I'm afraid I'd make sushi every day, though, just as an excuse to use it. Heck, I'd probably make sushi and stick it in this box even on days I didn't have to take my food elsewhere, just so I'd get to use the perfect shaped/sized sushi box, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. It suited perfectly with the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, that is lovely. Both the meal and the box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum yum yum yum!! I love that bento box.. Where'd you find it? Loooove this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had cold and rain the past few days....but warming up to 100 for the weekend over here - crazy weather. What an adorable box. At first I thought it was a vintage ice cube tray (the kind with the removable inserts).....humm, there's an idea. Such a beautiful roll - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Futomaki and this bento box is so perfect!! It won't be messy and just fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! Everything looks so good lined up like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quirky Jessi, it is a seriously awesome box. And as I recall it was quite reasonable, so really worth the minor investment. Never need a special reason to make sushi, as far as I'm concerned :)

    Thank you Kolor ღ , Yenny and Jenn!

    Chantale, I forgot. But it's a Korean brand, so maybe at the Korean mart? I remember it was very inexpensive, like maybe $3 or something!

    Karina, it does resemble the old ice cube tray. In fact, a metal version would be SO cool. Thanks :)

    Thank you Nami, I love futomaki too! Isn't it great to pack like this, so neatly :)

    Thanks a lot Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ღ♡Ꮣуռ էяɨռɨא♡ღ , thank you. You are always so sweet!

    ReplyDelete