Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Double Pool Bento

Double Pool Bento by sherimiya ♥
Double Pool Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
We're baaaack! We spent some time in Hawaii with family, vacationing and unwinding, and getting our fill of much-needed sunshine and heat. We left the bay area in a thunderstorm, and returned to fantastic 77 degree summery weather. Such a nice transition, I must say. We've spent every single day of our summer break so far at the pool, and tomorrow will be no exception. I've been packing light, cool bento for the kids and me, and finally got around to taking a photo of one. I've used my two-tier stainless steel tiffin, which I seem to do every year around this time: see the previous Pool Bento here. I've also used this bento for road trips (see Harajuku Bento). This time I packed leftover meatloaf which I chopped into small pieces and tucked into a silicon cup with a smaller cup of homemade barbeque sauce (tomato sauce, molasses, apple cider vinegar). This meatloaf is packed full of good stuff: shredded carrot and spinach, quick oats and wheat germ -- all mixed together with egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, spicy mustard and even stuffed with cheddar. The kids loved it. I was able to squeeze a half orange, donut peach, strawberries, carrot and steamed Okinawan sweet potato into each tier as well. I'm really happy with this twin bento set! If I were more ambitious I would have packed a layer for me (yes, I do have a three-tier version), but ah well. I'll bring my musubi and fruit in another bento.
See you later; we're going for a swim... ^_^

11 comments:

  1. As usual, very colorful and yummy bento! The strawberry looks very juicy.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful and healthy bento! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Sheri...
    Lovely bento, as always :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Sheri! We missed you and your bento! 2 tier bento box looks cool. You pack so many stuff and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back!! Aaw, the Summer and its deliciousness!
    Yay to vacations´bentos!!! ^__^
    Have a super "wet" time! Huge smooches to the kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's back! So great to hear you're having a terrific start to summer. Pool and sun, can't go wrong with that can you? Mm, love your meatloaf version! One more week and I've got to write down everything that will inspire me in the coming weeks.. and this meatloaf is one of them! Yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! Your summer sounds divine! I want to come over and swim and eat bentos with you too, lol. I hope the rest of the summer is just is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks mama elaine, ☺lani☺, Yenny, Nami, karaimame, Chantale and Heather!
    It's good to be back. Thanks for your sweet comments of welcome. Look forward to hearing about your summer activities as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheri! Welcome back! Really missed your daily bento posts and so glad to see them again :D
    All of you must have had lots of fun in Hawaii! Everyday by the pool-my girls are envying your kids so much! Enjoy your swimming session! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ !!
    Really appreciate your kind words. It's good to be back and enjoying the summer here, in the pool and sunshine :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're always welcome Sheri! ^.^
    Enjoy your weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete