Monday, May 23, 2011

Cooking Channel Promo Shoot

Yesterday we had a bit of excitement over here: The Cooking Channel sent over a crew to film an interview and bento-making session with me and the kids. They're interested in using it for a promotional spot to be aired sometime in the summer (I think). About 15 people came to the house and set up a bunch of lights and cameras both inside and out in the backyard. They spent 3 hours filming us making bentos and then interviewing us about our passion for bento. It was quite an experience! Everyone was very friendly and warm, and made us feel as comfortable as we could under the blazing lights. After our photo shoot experience for the New York Times article a year and a half ago, I was a bit nervous about how the kids would react to all the attention. Can you guess how they did? MisterMan was the essence of chill: laid-back and reserved. He thought the best part was all the gear they brought in their giant trucks double-parked in front of our house, and the fact they coned off the street.
TinySprite was the exact opposite: so excited she could barely contain herself. Added to her usual -er- "enthusiastic" self, and the fact that it was nearing her bedtime, you can imagine the antics. She named some members of the group (Beautiful Lady, Makeup Lady, Brown Lady, Big Hair Man) and referred to them by those names DURING the filming; she tried grabbing the mike hanging over us several times, and she insisted upon running to the kitchen, fetching another bento and eating (again) while we were conducting the interview. Sigh. Well, I guess you can't say it was a dull shoot for them! It certainly was a fun learning experience. Stay tuned for updates! ^_^

*Edited to add: See the link to the finished commercial here!

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sheri!!! How awesome and exciting it must have been, especially for the kids. :) I can't wait to see it on the cooking channel, I know it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sheri!! I saw your tweeter last night right before I go to sleep...and I was wondering what you were talking about. =P This is SUPER COOL!!! I'm so proud of you! Such an exciting even in the neighborhood too! Japanese Bento will be more popular thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's so cool!!!! and so cute of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful!! Congratulations, this is thrilling and so cool Sheri !! I LOVE the idea of your beautifully healthy and fun bentos becoming really widely known, as they represent a whole new way of connecting children's meals, happiness and health, so very valuable!
    Bentobird/Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Sheri!!! I can't wait to see the spot when it airs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I've been following your blog for quite a while now and I must say I love seeing new entries and hearing about how MisterMan and TinySprite are doing. When they do air the clip I hope that you will post a link to it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're famous!! Hopefully you'll be able to post a video of the ad when it airs? I might not be able to see it here. : ( So so so cute of TS to be so excited!! Hopefully this ad spot will turn into a real bento show showcasing your talents Sheri! I'd definitely watch you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Now if we only got the Cooking Channel. Any chance to see it on Hulu/Youtube??

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beyond cool! Sugoi! Congratulations Sheri! I am so jealous ppl there will be able to see your gorgeous bento, talent and your sweet kids! TS is a cutie ;)!
    So happy for you and the bento community!
    ....
    I've been missing so many great bento posts :/. Actually, I always take a look, just don't comment much...(sneaky >.<)

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations! How exciting!! you deserve all the fame in the world! we love your bentos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrat Sheri, it must be a real exciting experience! Looking forward for more updates, and the best if we could have a view of the clips when it is on air! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool!! so happy and excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Sheri ^__^ .... I am so excited to see you on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, Nami, Nichola, Jenn, Caren, yasashiibara, Chantale, Kitsune, Colorado Becky, karaimame, Mrs. P, KidsDreamWork, javapot and Lina...

    Thank you so much for your thoughtful and supportive words. I really appreciate the love I get from you and the whole bento community. Much of my inspiration comes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made it! I am sure you and kids look fabulous on TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super exciting, Sheri! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oops i'm so late again!!! WOW it looks like so much fun and i would be as excited as TinySprite too! XD XD XD Congrats!

    ReplyDelete