Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gyoza Bento


Gyoza Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
After the wonton project, I decided to make gyoza. I used Maki's recipe on Just Hungry, and they came out pretty good. The kids liked these too, but I guess they might prefer the wontons a bit more since they are huge soup fans. Anyway, I tucked a few gyoza into a stainless steel box along with a little container of shoyu/rice vinegar sauce. He also has a cup of pickled veggies (carrots, cucumbers and daikon) and a cherry tomato for color. I used a piece of lettuce to keep the gyoza separate from the other stuff; I think this qualifies as "edible baran" for entry in hapabento's B.O.M.B. contest!

I put the fruit in a separate box: black plum, Cara Cara oranges, raspberries and blueberries in this section. Have you tried Cara Cara oranges yet? There is some controversy over whether they are in fact actual grapefruit hybrids, or just look like grapefruits with their pink flesh. Anyway, supposedly they are less acidic and more sweet than regular oranges. We tried them at the Ferry Terminal farmer's market in San Francisco last weekend and were hooked! They really do taste sweet and berrylike, and their pink flesh is rather cool.

This has turned out to be Dumpling Week over here at the Happy Little Bento house. I find that dumplings really make people happy... even the word dumpling makes me smile. You too? :)

16 comments:

  1. have never tried a cara cara - they look so cool! unsurprisingly, these gyoza lok amazing - just the right amount of crispy :-)

    and a signature sherimiya juicy fruit section, full of jazzy color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Delicious bento! After wontons and now is gyoza ... you just make me drooling over your bento ho?? LOL :D Never tried Cara Cara oranges, we don't have it here. You are so lucky to have so many kinds of fruits and veggies. Happy Little Bento house is rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gyoza came out really well. Never got mine that crispy, I think I do something wrong =/ Should try again another time ^^
    I haven't eaten those cara cara, too. No chance to get them around here.

    I like the word dumpling, too. But I think I don't like the things itself to much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I LOVE dumplings! I'm feeling hungry just by looking at your bento! :D
    The Cara Cara oranges looks good, never try that though. Wonder if I can find it over here in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u r on a dumpling roll, they look fab. never tried cara cara - what do u think, more like orange or grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, dumpling ... the mere word puts a smile on my face. Happy Little Bento house sounds like the perfect place for a culinary vacation :o) This bento looks delicious !

    Thanks for linking to the recipe also. I'm going to the Asian supermarket today, I'll look for those skins. Do you use the same for wontons and gyoza? I'm quite the newbie in the dumpling department. :o) Oh, and can you freeze wontons as well (uncooked probably)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks so delicious. I would love to bring this for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed--dumplings do equal happiness-- especially in your pretty bentos, Sheri! These gyoza look so golden, plump and fresh, and I'm dazzled by the jewel tones and shapes of the cara cara, black plums and berries :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks megan, Lia, Lil'chan, KidsDreamWork, javapot, Ceinwyn, Dawn and bentobird!
    I think the Cara Caras taste more like sweet oranges; not tart at all. You will probably see them in Asia pretty soon; I find them at the Asian markets here too. There are all kinds of skins; I use the square ones for wonton and the round ones for gyoza. There are also different thicknesses. Thin is supposed to be better, but it's harder to work with. Yes, you can freeze, and cook as needed! Very handy for a bento stash.
    Thanks so very much for all your kind and sweet comments! Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheri- besides the yummy looking bentos, I am also loving the cute colored pencil hashi! how fun. I've never even heard of Cara Cara. THanks, I better try hunt these down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so delicious!!! Homemade is always the yummiest and your bento is so lovely as always! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rachel; yup those hashi are totally cute! Hope you can find the Cara Cara!

    Thanks a lot Susan! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So simple, yet it looks absolutely DELICIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. arrrgh Gyoza! I love gyoza and now I see them and I can't have them!!!

    ReplyDelete