Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bunny Kimchi Fried Rice Bento

I made kimchi fried rice (Kimchi bokkeumbap), inspired by a twitter friend whose dinners often inspire mine! As an aside, I've found that twitter has given me cooking/food ideas/recipes on several occasions. Of course, I follow quite a large number of "foodie" types, so that explains it. Invariably the folks I've met and chatted with are always generous and helpful. It's been a great resource for me.

Anyway, back to the bento:
My kimchi rice is vegetarian; it's also mild, since my kids are heat-intolerant! But, not totally mild, since kimchi is in there! Also, being the healthy mom that I am, I added some nontraditional ingredients. I understand that the recipe can be fairly flexible and may include "leftover" kimchi and assorted vegetables. I began by sauteeing minced garlic, then adding carrot, onion and shredded baby bok choy. I also used minced kale! I've already mentioned how I add this ingredient to rice occasionally for added vitamin enhancement. This dish is so highly flavored, I doubt the kale is even noticable. I forgot the mushrooms, but this would have added a nice rich flavor. Then I put the cold rice in the pan and let it get crispy on one side before I began tossing it. This is because I love crispy rice. Then I added the chopped kimchi (napa cabbage type). You should add in the liquid from the kimchi as well, but as I mentioned I was wary of doing that. However, I could not avoid the liquid which was retained in the kimchi itself after I cut it. Okay, I could have, but I didn't. I really wanted the orange rice color. I also drizzled some shoyu and sesame oil for taste. If this were for me, I would have added a lot of gojuchang, but as it was, it was still pretty tasty. Top with chopped green onions and a fried egg, and it's a very satisfying meal!

I fried a quail egg in a metal bunny mold, and the yolk managed to stay in the exact center of the face. Now that I look at it, I wish I had used the yellow yolk as the nose. Wouldn't that have been cute? I almost forgot, the bunny makes this bento eligible for Hapa Bento's B.O.M.B. Yay! I added a nori face, some maroon carrot and peapod flowers, and I was done. The extras include cut carrots, a bit of broccoli, strawberries and black grapes.

Verdict? It was a hit :)

19 comments:

  1. First!
    As always, your skillful joining of the adorable and healthy leaves me happily stunned, Sheri! I loved reading about the ingredients of this wonderful bunny bento--just full of great ideas. The pink baby chick trio add even more sweetness--eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little bunny sitting in his fried rice! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet sweet sweet was all i thought about! liked what u did with the carrot flowers. can wash the kimchi a little if the kids find it too spicy and then for adults toss in extra kimchi (unwashed) before eating - looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bentobird, always with a sweet word for me! You made my evening!
    Thanks Jenn!
    Thanks Mer!
    javapot, you're right.Luckily we can always add more spicy stuff for us adults afterwards :) Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that bunny is so cute! Great idea using a mold to shape the egg. :D Not to mention how yummy that fried rice looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Susan, I got the idea from your star egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely cute! I love that quail egg! What a great idea! Thx so much for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Token! I have a hard time frying a quail egg... I think the hen eggs are much easier to work with. These are cute though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherimiya! I gave you a little award, follow the link ;)

    http://sheeatsbears.blogspot.com/2010/03/kreativ-award-yippee.html

    Marysol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks soooo delicious! I love your egg bunny =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marysol, Thanks so much for the sweet award! I am honored to receive it from you :D

    Thanks a lot Lil'chan!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missed this one because didn't get online yesterday. Sweet bunny! Love his facial expression. Kimchi fried rice seems good idea to put in the bento. Thanks to share on how to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lia! You are busy with your kids these days! So glad you make an effort to stop by and say hello! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable. And the pink chickies on the side are toooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I'm inspired to make the kimchi rice and another bunny bento! Have a great weekend, my new facebook friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi veganf!! Thanks a lot :)

    Yes, make more cute bunnies for us Judy!!
    I'll have a great weekend if you do the same:)
    Facebook friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry for the late comment - loved this when i saw it the other day and was so excited for you when i saw on twitter that it got so many hits! you deserve it of course - super cute bunny face, beautiful and intricate fruit and veg arrangement, and one of the yummiest entrees ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks a lot megan! Always nice to have folks share a post with others, isn't it? I'm with you on the kimchi rice! Can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete