Sunday, October 4, 2009

Making Sticky Rice

I made a batch of sticky rice today, and this time I used a mix of brown sweet rice, white sweet rice, brown short grain and white short grain rice, in a ratio of 2 cups sweet rice to 1 cup short grain rice. I also used more than the usual amount of liquid because I noticed in the past that brown rice needs more water to attain the same level of stickiness. If you have time, you should also soak the rice a few hours before cooking. I've soaked sweet rice overnight with good results. I like to take a picture of the rice before cooking because I think it looks pretty cool.
I soaked some dry shiitake mushrooms, and sliced them before putting them to cook with the rice. I used the mushroom broth to make the rice.
It's not traditional to use fresh bok choy, but I do because I like the addition of dark greens. I think it looks nice, and it's another way for the kids to get a serving of leafy greens. I chopped the leaves and stems and put them in the pot with the rice. I also added lup cheong (Chinese sausage) and green onion. You can also use char siu if you like. Everything cooks together and you have a quick and easy one-pot meal! I should have taken a picture of the finished product, but my camera battery died and I forgot to upload it later. I did make a bento with it, though, and you can see it here. Oh, sticky rice does make a good bento :)
*ETA: Here's the finished sticky rice, all ready to eat...

2 comments:

  1. So you tossed it all into a rice pot or was this stir-fry? I've never thought to add veggies in with the steaming rice. I usually just toss them into the steamer ABOVE the rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liana,
    Yes, I tossed it all together in the pot with the rice! I have a big 10-cup Zojirushi. I don't have a steamer attachment so I have to do it this way. It still comes out great :)

    ReplyDelete