Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quinoa-Crusted Salmon Bento

I heard from a nutritionist on twitter about this method of gluten-free breading -- using cooked quinoa. What? That's what I thought too. I asked her to clarify and she said to use cooked quinoa just like panko. Hmm, okay. I decided to try making a quinoa crust on salmon for a change of pace. The quinoa didn't stick on by itself (I tried) so I dipped the fish in egg first, then in the quinoa, then shallow-fried in a pan. I used lemon and garlic to flavor it. I thought it tasted all right; nothing that spectacular. Not sure I'd try it again. The rest of this simple bento contains green beans, a little tulip shaped "flower", grapes, strawberries, and among the last of the homegrown cherry tomatoes.

10 comments:

  1. Looks super delicious to me, I love quinoa! Another lovely meal Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea. I never thought of crusting things in quinoa. It doesn't sound like it would get all nice and crunchy though. Cool experiment though, and it looks really neat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. It doesn't really develop the crispy crunchy crust of panko at all. I think probably corn flakes would work better! But it does add an interesting texture :)

      Delete
  3. Looks pretty awesome! Was the quinoa crunchy? Cool taste textures here.. I'd love this for my lunches.. Yum-my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I'd have to say not really crunchy at all. But it does add protein and a nice twist (maybe K won't see the fish this way?) ^_^

      Delete
  4. Cuuute and vibrant little bento! Loving the "tulip" detail. Happy weekend, Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and absolutely love it! Just started trying to learn how to make bentos. If you have more basic recipes to put up that'd be great. Thanks for the awesome ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Thank you so much for your sweet words!! I'll work on more basic recipes to share; my go-to methods are by necessity simple and quick so they're not much. But I'm happy to share when I can! XOX

      Delete