Monday, January 31, 2011

Sushi Bunnies Bento


Sushi Bunnies Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Who can resist hot dog sushi? Especially when they're hot dog bunnies? For these little guys I simmered turkey dogs in a shoyu-sugar sauce, the way my dad used to do with Vienna sausages when I was a kid. They're really good to eat over rice just plain, or with a fried egg on the side for breakfast. Here I just rolled them up in regular white / brown rice and sliced. I added nori facial details and edamame ears. This is the bottom layer for my 7 year old; I added more on top after I took the picture. There's also a couple of grape tomatoes, carved carrots, steamed broccoli and chopped cara cara oranges. All packed in my LunchBots Uno. Nice and fresh :)
These hot dog sushi were also my contribution to our monthly Twitter Food Party. This month's theme was Hot Dogs. There were lots of fun and interesting takes on the basic dog in a bun; you can take a look at the other entries, as well as examples from previous parties at the flickr group here.

16 comments:

  1. Wow...so many cute bunnies...I want, I want...heheh...so adorable! Great idea to use the edamame as ears, give the bunnies extra kawaii. Wishing you and family Happy Lunar New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, and you too!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, they look cute and adorable
    Happy Lunar new year for you and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, cute bunnies.. i want..i want..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Yenny! Happy New Year to you and your family too :)
    Haha -- thanks mama elaine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bunny sushi is too cute! I love the edamame ears! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw. Bunnies and sushi! Extremely cute! Lovely fingerfood...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea this is :) I don't eat meat myself, however the boyfriend does :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love their edamame ears and your mini works! This is just so awesome (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! this is so cute!!!!
    I should try to make some for my boys.
    Love the presentation, and happy Chinese New Year ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks karaimame, Uniflame, Lia and Lina!
    Yes, you should try it. It's easy :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I absolutely love the bunny sushi, and think F&B might consider eating these. Will keep you posted on my efforts. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon, F could probably make these herself! Do let me know your results :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you make the broccoli stick to the carrots?
    Your bentos are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cut a notch in the top of the carrot just big enough to slip the broccoli stem in. Voila!

    ReplyDelete