Monday, August 9, 2010

Astro Boy Bento


Astro Boy Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Yes.... it is field trip time again! Even though MisterMan's summer program provides lunches and snacks, they still require a "brown bag" lunch on field trip days, so I get to try my hand with fully disposable bento and the oft-revisited char siu bao. I almost went with sandwich thins since I have smoked salmon and cream cheese in the fridge, but when TinySprite and I went to the deli to pick up lunch they gave me this perfectly domed bao. Wow, how could I resist? Last week, in anticipation of the field trip bento, I borrowed an Astro Boy dvd so I could see what he really looks like. It really surprised me when Chantale posted an Astro Boy bento the very day after! What are the odds of that? Well, so maybe I was inspired by her cutie just a little... hehe! I cut his hair from red cabbage, and guess what? He ate it :) His eyes are radish and nori, all stuck on with honey, and his mouth is a berry fruit leather. I know his hair isn't exactly pointy (or black for that matter), but cabbage will only take on the shape (and color) it grows in -- so you'll have to use some imagination! Fruit and veggies went in the other box: grapes, cherries, broccoli, carrots, strawberry and plum.
Oh, and LunchBots giveaway is still open! Enter here!

14 comments:

  1. I love this Astro Boy bento! The cabbage hairdo is a great idea. I love the fun colors in it too, no need for fancy picks or other decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is adorable! The cabbage hair is perfect (and I think the purple is more fun than black anyhow)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astro Boy is one of the first cartoon heroes of my era! Many happy memories of watching him in action every afternoon.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the purple cabbage work just fine! In fact the texture makes it looks really like hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the purple hair ... make him looks so cool! Now you are a queen of bun make over LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. (pretty) Astro Boy, Sheri ^_^v. Oh, just love his purple hair, it's so original idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is perfectly cute and how creative to use the purple cabbage for hair! Loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems we all like the purple cabbage hair! Great bento!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, loving the vibrant purple cabbage hair and how you were inspired by the perfect bao you found at the deli in creating this fun, happy bento!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot Sonoma Bento, Shannon, Debra, KidsDreamWork, Lia, tatabonita, Mommyof2girlz, Lyndsey and bentobird!

    Cabbage hair ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is really cute, nice touch with the 'hair'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, this puts my Astro Boy to SHAME! Shazaaam! hahaha! Even the eyes and eyebrows are perfect.. You know, this could also be Astro Girl (but don't tell MisterMan that!). I LOVE the cabbage hair (smacking myself here and going 'why didn't i think of that?!'). lol. Sheri! Missed you and your bentos! This is Awe.Some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHA! I totally think it looks like Astro Girl too! I think it's the hair flip. And the purple doesn't help either, hehe!
    Missed you too! Let's telepathically coordinate a bento again soon--- thanks Chantale!

    ReplyDelete