Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sushi Bento


Sushi Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
More warm weather is on the way here, and I thought sushi would be a nice way for MisterMan to have lunch. I made a white & brown sushi rice mix with quinoa, and made a roll using steamed carrot and asparagus. For added protein I also made some tamagoyaki, which I decorated with nori faces and cute picks. The hat and heart picks are both part of gifts from thoughtful bento pals, and I guess they know how much of an accessory fanatic I am because I am SO excited to add them to my collection!! I wanted to add more yellow heart picks all over to suggest a lion's mane, but I restrained myself. I tossed in a few extra asparagus pieces since there was room on the sushi side, and on the other side I placed bright red "strawberry" cherries, some lychee and some homegrown sweet Blenhein apricots. I put shoyu for sushi in the bottle.

Isn't this a unique bento box? It is actually a sushi container, made especially to carry two makizushi rolls. There is a narrow slot in the center to hold a pair of chopsticks, and a separate section I assume for shoyu (or maybe pickled ginger). It's so cool I could barely stand it. I got this one and a single one (half the size, holds only one roll). The lid is domed too, to accomodate the roll. Told you = too cool!
Posted at What's For Lunch? -- You can add yours there too!

23 comments:

  1. I love the box it's so neat! And the little tamagoyaki faces are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love this sushi box! it's super cool! I have to say my favorite pick is the blue frog in the top right corner :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS the coolest box! And I love how you filled in with fruit instead of a second roll. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything is so lovely, cool box too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, the sushi and fruits that you put in that box are just like the passengers ready to go with the fast train, the shinkanzen, hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seeing this a lot now and thought to ask ... How do you get the "ruffled edge" on the rolled egg? A mold I would imagine. I wonder if I could makeshift something. Very nice box too. I used to make The Mister sushi rolls for his lunch when he would work out in the field. I like to think we educated many construction folks on world cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jenn, d.a.f.fodil, Debra, javapot, tatabonita and Judy!
    I knew you guys would love the cool box, didn't I predict? It's a Korean brand; maybe check your H-mart?

    tata, AW what a great shinkansen bento it would be, eh? I wish I could get a real ekiben!

    Judy, the ruffled edge results when you roll up the warm egg in the makisu (bamboo rolling mat) and let it cool like that. It keeps the tamagoyaki tight and the pattern is molded in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, your sushi is adorable! The shape is really fantastic, so circle like and round ^.- Your new box is cool! It's so special. I would love to have one of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely sushi bento. Love the special bento box too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what I love more - the box or the contents!! What a perfect warm weather bento. And the tamagoyaki is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really nice combo of box shape and pretty fruit/sushi fillings! I love this unique bento box and have not seen its like before...so cool, sherimiya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love that sushi bento box. I needed that the other day when I sent sushi with my husband. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    The filling is so clever too. I like the tamagoyaki with the picks, cute face and the ruffled edges!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is truly an awesome box. Your puppy tamagoyaki is so cute it's killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lil'chan - the makisu really helps with roundness!
    Thanks KidsDreamWork!
    Thanks Cat, so sweet!
    Thanks Jenn!
    Thanks Lyndsey; maybe you can check your local Korean mart and find it there!
    Haha; thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kids are so lucky to have a mom who can make fun and cool bentos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great box for sushi! Super cute bento! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm.. cutest tamagoyaki EVER! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Mommyof2girlz!
    SushiTail, thanks! So sweet :D
    Thanks Susan!
    Thanks Megg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I'm not a great sushi maker, but can make a reasonable facsimile of a California roll. I must need a sushi box! ;o)

    Thanks for linking up this week! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woohoo! You need this box Shannon!
    Thanks for providing the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. look at you - a million people love you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. And I love you all back Judy!! *mwah!*
    You are the sweetest one, too. ^^

    ReplyDelete