Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ponyo Bento!


Ponyo Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
We watched Ponyo yesterday, such a sweet and funny film by Studio Ghibli. It really spoke to me, as so much of it centers around the sea. Have you seen it? I especially loved the scenes where Ponyo is running on the giant fish to find Sosuke. She's so joyful you can't help but smile. Something else I noticed is that Ponyo kind of reminds me of TinySprite, in her very um.. high-energy way. Like when they're on the boat and Sosuke is trying to start it while Ponyo is bouncing and chatting non-stop (Is it hot? It's hot isn't it? Are you starting it? Is it starting? It's starting! Yay! Is it working? It's working!)

Today's bento is a tribute to Ponyo using one of my field trip favorites, the char siu bao. I cut her hair and fins from sweet pepper, and tucked some broccoli in the fishbowl as well. Her eyes are blueberries and her nose and mouth are nori stuck on with honey. I should have taken a picture of the (recycled) bowl with the clear lid on, since it kind of looked like a bubble or jellyfish. So cute. The other (recycled blueberry) box contains the fruit: strawberries, grapes, cherries and homegrown apricot. Yes, it's field trip day! They're going to the Lawrence Hall of Science. Have fun, MisterMan!

25 comments:

  1. Very cute Ponyo. Have not watched it myself but I think she is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUHWEET! I've seen only bits and pieces of Ponyo on youtube with my little K. Wow, so like the Ponyo in the image! How do you do these?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Ponyo DVD, but haven't watched it yet. But I will now...

    Very cute way of displaying Ponyo! The foreshortening is flawless. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But where is the ham?!?! :D hehe! It's such an adorable Ponyo! I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chantale! You'd be amazed how many things you can do with a char siu bao, haha! Not hard when you start to think about it... :)

    Aw thanks Debra! Really liked it. Both kids didn't move the whole time, and TS nearly had an accident by the time it was finally over (eeks)!

    Jenn, Ack! How could I forget the ham?! Sorry Ponyo!
    Thanks Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooooo cute! I'm going to have to see if I can find the dvd now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Ponyo and you did a fantastic job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Ponyo is so cute ^-^
    Ponyo will come out in German soon. So I viewed a trailer some time ago. And thought "Oh, Ponyo is a girl?" xD as "fish" she looks like a boy! Sorry ponyo >.<

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lil'chan! Ponyo in German, yay! It's okay; Ponyo as fish doesn't look as girlish as Ponyo as girl... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheri this is awesome!!! I was thinking about doing a Ponyo bento a while back but couldn't think of how to do it. I am just blown away by your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've just reminded me I still have to go see the movie! Can I bring one of your Ponyo Bento's along? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute. We love Ponyo. My son said, "But where's the ham?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the movie and really like your ponyo!

    I made one similar some time ago:

    http://cookingffun.blogspot.com/2010/02/ponyo.html

    Some friends said they liked the crying baby food >.< but hubby still recognized her as ponyo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ponyo, Ponyo little fishy in the sea, She's a little girl with a round tummy! Cute! We love Ponyo and all the Miyasaki movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! Very cute ... Wish summer is last forever so more cute bento for us to see everyday hahaha :) Have a nice weekend! Say hi to the kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this one -- how cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Expertly crafted and a very entertaining post! The elegant teal background sets of the vibrant fruit so beautifully. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Ponyo! And the one in your bento box is sooo adorable >.<

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love Ponyo! Your bento looks very much like her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. great job with the ponyo face! i do think of you as quite the oceanista, glad you and TS and MM enjoyed this film, and i bet MM had a wonderful trip -- who wouldn't with such a cute fishbowl lunch to take with!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Susan, gnoegnoe, Evenspor, Aileth, Options Mom, Lia, Lili, bentobird, tatabonita, Kuusou and megan!!
    Overwhelmed with your positive comments. Ponyo affects so many ^_^

    Oceanista, yes...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Ponyo and so does my little man. I'll have to make this for him and surprise him.

    Love all your ideas and oh my goodness, do you little ones eat all that healthy food, WOW! You're a good mommy.

    Saludos,
    Migdalia Y.

    ReplyDelete