Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Girls' Day Bento


Girls' Day Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Here's my Girls' Day little snack bento for TinySprite. It's a shy, demure girl in her purple carrot kimono with green onion obi. Okay, you'll have to use your imagination. I like the irony of making a shy girl for TinySprite; it really makes me laugh. TinySprite is NOT demure. If there is one very apt word I can use to describe her, it is LOUD. She talks loud, she laughs loud, she's very outspoken and not afraid to talk to anyone. She remembers everyone's name and always addresses their parent and siblings, if present, as well. She knows everyone, everywhere we go: post office, grocery, library, school, etc., and she gets more greetings than I do. You know those kids that always ask embarrassing questions at very awkward moments? I am just waiting for those. She already "reminds" people not to smoke, litter, or run too fast. Yikes. So I should have made this girl with an "O" mouth, wide open, to truly represent my girl :)

Anyway, to make this girl, I just wrapped a carrot peel round and round a quail egg for her body. As an aside, purple carrots appear to stain quail eggs pretty well. As soon as the peel touched the egg, it left a purple mark. By the time I'd wrapped the egg, everything was streaked dark purple, including my fingers. So if you need a dark purple egg, you might consider purple carrots next time.

Her head is a second quail egg placed on its end. I cut her hair and eyes from nori, and she wears a cilantro and maroon carrot flower in her hair. Also in this little snack box are two strawberries, a grape tomato and a peapod. Yellow sweet mini pepper flowers too.

I should have taken video of her eating this one, but I forgot. She ate everything, even the green onion, which surprised me. First thing she did was totally unwrap the carrot kimono and eat that by itself, and then all the flowers, and I was a little nervous about her just popping the eggs in her mouth so I made her take a bite from each one first. She had a lot of fun with this one, I think :)
Here's a closeup of the girl:


Happy Girls' Day, bento friends!

22 comments:

  1. very demure indeed. was smiling at your description of how tinysprite ate it, how cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kawaii!! I was like scrolling my mouse up and down so many times to see this bento and the close up of the girl. TS is so lucky to have this ... Very creative Sheri! Love it <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely girl! I've seen purple carrot before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot javapot; she's a very funny eater :)

    Haha, you're so funny Lia! Thanks so much for your sweet compliments, I appreciate it a lot!!

    Hi shoppingmum, thanks very much! Hope you can use purple carrot in your bento too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little girl's bobbed haircut! Tinysprite sounds like a sharp little girl... a go-getter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular bento! You are so very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply gorgeous. You're very lucky to have a child willing to try (and like!) lots of healthy foods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! What a fun Girls Day Bento! I am jealous to have no girl to make one for, Kidlet wouldn't let me make him one hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creative, lovely, and such an enjoyable post to read! TinySprite sounds like an amazing little girl. As always, you've made radiantly healthy foods so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this one is adorable! i agree with everyone else, tinysprite sounds fun and hilarious. very precocious. the flower accent in this demure girl's hair is so pretty, and good tip about the purple carrot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Debra, Angi, Kimmie, Jenn, bentobird and megan!!
    Yeah, she's a funny and fun girl... always entertaining, that's for sure ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! I'd like to do bento for my daughter who's 10, but I don't even know where to start. Does your son eat all the food you put in for him? How long does it take you to make that everyday? What a great mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a really nice little kimono!

    My girl is still an infant so no bento for her yet! Can't wait for her to grow up so I can do all those girly stuff for her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy,
    Thank you!! Yes, my boy actually eats everything in the entire box, lettuce decoration included. But he may be the exception. You should definitely start with her favorite foods, even just a simple sandwich and fruits. You'll see that it doesn't have to take any longer to place nicely in a box. I don't take more than 20-30 minutes to make it, but that includes cooking time too, if necessary. Hope this helps! I hope you can try it for her soon, she will love it!

    Hi Angeleyes! Thanks a lot! I started making my boy a bento when he was 1! I put cottage cheese or yogurt with a berry face, scrambled eggs in the shape of a sun, and sweet potato cut into flowers. She may not notice it, but you'll have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable! I know that I would be a very happy (grown-up) girl to get this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, thanks a lot Katie! That's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this little girl is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My girl is home sick today. I think I'll make a Bento similar to this I think it will cheer her up no end. It is so so cute! Thanks for sharing.
    @Kimmie....my daughter was the fussiest eater, so much so she began to loose weight and thats when I started making bentos...first, as Sherimiya said, with the foods she would eat, now she's starting to want to try new foods. Give it a try you'll be very surprised and happy!

    ReplyDelete