Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ono Pork & Sweet Potato Fries Bento

Ono Pork Bento by sherimiya ♥
Ono Pork Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
This year the kids seem to have a lot more after-school activities than last year, but maybe it's just the scheduling that makes it seem more hectic. Even with only one activity per kid, there are some afternoons where we seem to be rushing from one place to the next, changing uniforms in the car, and squeezing homework in between somehow. After a few very late nights, I've wised up: I dusted off the slow-cooker and plan to use it on those days when we don't get home until 6:30pm. Here's the result of the most recent slow-cooker night - My Mom's Ono Pork Roast (see my method and recipe here). The 3-pound pork shoulder should last for more than one meal, and there are lots of things you can do with the leftovers. We've shredded and fried the meat and made tacos, which are really good. To go along with the sliced pork here, I've added Okinawan sweet potato, baked sweet potato "fries", and roasted brussels sprouts. The fruit section contains a late-season plum, grapes, and raspberries. In my favorite LunchBot Trio!

11 comments:

  1. ow..I never baked sweet potato and it looks yummy. So sweet bento as always, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana and Yenny! You must try it. Sprinkle with salt or parmesan - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that pork sounds delicious! I busted out my slow cooker the other day too, lol. Gorgeous bento Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's totally slow-cooker season. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a healthy and colourful bento!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your bento is always so full of colours and the pork roast looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obserwuję i zapraszam do mnie :)
    kawaii-doll-kawaii-doll.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mm, love sweet potatos, esp the fries! I so should get a slow cooker too. It's crazy the amount of activities our kids have.. Another gorgeous bento Sheri. Do your kids finish off these bentos in 1 shot or do they open it for snacks and then finish off the rest at lunchtime?

    ReplyDelete
  9. that;s gorgeous! I wish I had bentos like this when i was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks lil'tummyYummies, Cooking Gallery, Chantale and Shu Han.!!
    Chantale, my boy never saves anything "for later". My girl rarely does too, and only selected vegetables like carrots, which she didn't have time to be bothered with. They have snack times separately.

    ReplyDelete