Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Singapore Rice Stick Ladybug Bento

We just got back from a long weekend in L.A. visiting the in-laws, so there was no cooking done today >.< Still have yet to hit the grocery; maybe tomorrow. We had a lot of fun, but were all so exhausted. TinySprite had the longest nap in recent history this afternoon -- 3 hours. She had kung fu class this afternoon so she still was tired enough to go to bed at a decent hour. Yay! Luckily we have store-bought Singapore rice sticks, which is a semi-spicy curry type of noodle dish, mixed with egg, meat, bean sprouts and mushrooms. It used to be too spicy for MisterMan, but lately he's been getting a bit more adventurous and we're trying to "break in" his tastebuds so we can all eat more spicy foods as a family. I put a couple of grape tomato ladybugs atop the noodles, with nori decorations. I made a similar ladybug bento (here) not too long ago. Well, they are a sign of spring, aren't they? And so cute! I layered some cara cara oranges and kiwi on the other side, with grapes underneath. Hope you all had a great holiday weekend too. Welcome back to the routine ^_^

13 comments:

  1. It is always so funny when a lady bug lands on me in the garden. I freak out - until I see it's just a lady bug then I am fine but feel so silly. Boy if lady bugs were the size of grape tomato, even half, I think I'd hang up my gardening gloves for good! Cute Bento!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, you always crack me up! I agree; the miniature nature of ladybugs translates to cuteness. No giant bugs for me either! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheri. Thanks for dropping by my blog :)
    I think this dish might be called 'mee siam' in Singapore. (an adaptation of it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ladybugs are just perfect - such a welcome sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring bento looks so fantastic with ladybugs in it! I like how you layered cara cara oranges and kiwi. I can't wait for Andrew to try some spicy foods too. We love spicy foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Just released hundreds of ladybugs onto my porch garden this weekend to battle the evil spider mites and aphids. I had ladybugs landing in my hair and sneaking into my apartment. Maybe I should make them a bento too!

    You always have the cutest ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh* so hard to get back to the routine... :P
    Ehehe
    Yay to ladybugs! Wonderful bento ... so nice MM is eating more spicy food! It is soooo good :)
    Welcome back too! Huge hugs to the kids ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering why it was so quiet around here. Wonderful to hear that you had a great time off! And what a way to start off the 'routine' of everyday.. With this awesome ladybug bento! Mm.. singapore noodles. Awesome that MM is eating spicy! I only wish I could get mine to embrace her asian side.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on getting Mister Man to try more spicy stuff. My kid is adventurous, but she does have more sensitivity to spicy things. Love the little lady bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks shaz; didn't know the non-American name of it :)
    Thanks Karina, Lia, Sugary Flower, vkthorp (I should procure ladybugs too; we never have enough "wild" ones for all my aphids), karaimame, Chantale and Sonoma Bento!
    Pushing the spicy food seems to be a slow process. But we never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Loving the bright harmony of cara cara and kiwi, so nicely balanced by the festive, good-luck lady bugs in the spicy noodle garden section!

    ReplyDelete