Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spinach Pie Bento


Spinach Pie Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
I made spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) for dinner for the first time, and was happy to note that it was well-received. It seemed my daughter most enjoyed playing with the papery topping, though she did eat everything and asked for seconds afterwards. I wondered aloud whether it might be appropriate for bento, since the flaky crust wouldn't seem to keep well, and my 7-year old piped up "I don't mind if it gets soft! I like the spinach part best anyway." Well, okay then! I cut a few pieces to fit snugly on one side of the LunchBot Duo, and brightened up the drab color scheme with some watermelon radish and yellow carrot flowers. On the other side I packed some steamed broccoli, shoyu kabocha, kiwi, strawberry, grapes and blueberries. Another super quick one. Here's the recipe I used, adapted from Mollie Katzen:

Spanakopita (Greek Spinach and Cheese Pie)
2T olive oil
1C chopped green onions
1lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2C chopped flat-leaf parsley
6oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1 1/2C whole-milk, small-curd cottage cheese
1/2C finely grated Romano cheese
1 egg
8 sheets fillo dough
melted butter

Preheat oven to 400F. Heat olive oil in saucepan, saute onions until tender, then add spinach and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon, parsley and feta into spinach mixture. In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, Romano cheese and egg. Stir until blended, then add to spinach mixture. Add salt and pepper if desired. Scrape mixture into 9-inch pie plate and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush fillo sheets with butter, crumple, and place on top of pie. Bake another 10 minutes or so, until fillo topping is browned.

20 comments:

  1. Looks so fabulous! I don't mind if it gets soft too hehehe ... Great recipe there. Dunno if I can make it but will remember where to find if I need to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lia, heh. Have you had it? It's really delicious, and not too hard to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Will try int this month! Really easy recipe! Thanks a bunch! = }

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Charmie! Hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious and well arranged as always, Sheri :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always just buy these at the deli shop, but you make it sound and look so easy. I must give it a try someday.

    Good looking bento as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Debra!
    You know I'm all about the quick and easy. And filo is so much fun. Want to try baklava!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty bento! I just bought some filo pastry sheets too and don't have any idea what to do with it. Your pie looks really yummy but don't think I can make it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spanakopitas! YaY!! I like to make them in small portions (little triangular packages). Surely take more time, but they freeze neatly. The pie version is also good!
    Filo pastry is a very nice option to make pies and cut the calories (compared to regular pastry).
    So... baklava next? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely! I often stack quiche or hearty pie in my bento as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love spanakopita! I've never made it myself though, I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to have kids who will eat an try anything! I love greek food and we've so tried to get the kiddo to try spinach but.. it ain't a happenin' right now. lol. Your bentos always seem to pop right out of the photo, the colours are so amazing! Your kids amaze me.. they have the best mom in the world... I could always be your 3rd child btw. I will eat this in a heartbeat! lol..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, found your blog via Just Bento today and have to say I love it!!
    Currently bento making isn't really on the cards for me, but it will be again soon (yay!!) and your blog is a whole heap of colourful and delicious inspiration! So, thanks for that!

    And ditto to ChantaleP - please adopt me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am consumed with a need for spanakopita now! Its freshness and textures look divine, Sheri.

    Love how you've tucked it into the bento with fresh springlike greens and pink flowery accents...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks delish! I have to figure out a way for my family to eat spinach, other than pureeing them. When they see the greens they just say no! Bummer. At least they eat broccoli. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Xelia, it's much easier than you think. Really! Just brush with butter and it gets nice and crispy. Really nice texture!
    karaimame, I want to try making the triangles too. Really nice for bento that way, though you can't see the insides. I love puff pastry too though. I love baklava so I hope it's not too hard.
    Thanks Uniflame; I haven't made quiche yet, but it's also very hearty in bento.
    Heather, it's super easy! I was surprised. Hope you can try it too.
    You're so sweet Chantale! I love Greek food too! But I've never tried making it myself. This I think I can sort of manage, heh!
    Ri, thank you so much! I was like you long ago, just looking at other folks' bento for inspiration. Hope to see your contribution soon :)
    Thank you Bentobird! You've inspired me with your natural flora always present in your bento. It's a lovely touch.
    Thanks Mrs. P -- the cheese adds the flavor here. It's really cheesy and delicious! I really think they'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This "spring" Bento is amazing!! Greetings from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks wonderful, yum! I love spanikopita, I used to make it all the time but I'm not supposed to eat spinach anymore, waaaah :( Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks a lot Poland!
    Natakiya, awww... I really love spinach. But you could substitute other greens too and it would still be delish!

    ReplyDelete