Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Drums and Wings Bento


Drums and Wings Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
More and more chicken tebasaki (recipe here) using wings and drumettes. If you make these, be sure to make a ton, since everyone will want a plateful and the kids will ask for them in their bento. Yes, it'll be cold but they won't care. Believe me. The two kids get almost identical bento; one side of each box filled with chicken and the other with an assortment of fruits and veggies. The purple cutouts are made from Okinawan sweet potato which I steamed. I also included some squash in my boy's bento, since there was a bit of extra room. Besides the usual grapes, strawberry, broccoli and carrot, I added seedless mandarin. I'm always afraid these will be dry and tasteless, but luckily this batch is sweet and juicy! I think I got all the colors in there. ^_^

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours! Can I ask, what does Okinawan sweet potato taste like? Is it like yam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marfio :)
    The taste is not as sweet as yam, more mild. It has a white outer skin and you can find it in most Asian markets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you that it has all the colors.
    and the wings and drumettes are really tempting :b

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy and so tasty. Perfect when you're too busy to cook :)
    Thanks Yenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Okinawan sweet potato! Great purple color to add in your delicious bento. Your kids got the best bento in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, that sweet potato is show! Have you ever tried to bake with them? ^_^
    Hmm... great the mandarin was juicy! I am always worried about the fruits being tasteless and dry (aha... everything is only good in Summer here)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheri, this is so eye-gorgeously yummy! Going to make this tonight for our supper. YES for Sheri giving me great meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice and colorful! Love the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lia, karaimame, Chantale, and Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete