Monday, January 10, 2011

Marmalade Pork Bento


Marmalade Pork Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
For today's bento I had made pork spareribs using a recipe I saw on the Japanese Time-Saving Show. It's a funny show that features hilarious tips for saving time in all kinds of areas. There is usually a cooking segment with chefs who sometimes try to copy the recipes from celebrity chefs while using strange substitutes. Sometimes there are regular housewives and husbands who want to share a quick tip for getting the kids ready for school in 5 minutes, or even bento ideas. Once in awhile there is an idea that I might be willing to try, like the Marmalade Pork Ribs here. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the exact ingredient measurements, but it was so straightforward I thought I could wing it. Basically all you do is put the ribs (I used country style pork ribs) in the pot with yakiniku sauce (but I used a shoyu/mirin/white wine sauce [2:1:1], splash of lemon, sesame oil, ginger and garlic) and a "big scoop" of marmalade. The idea is that the pectin will tenderize the meat quickly and you can have your meat ready in 18 minutes on the stove. First I poked the meat all over with a fork, then browned them in the pan. Then I added the yakiniku sauce and approximately equal volume of marmalade, lowered heat to simmer, covered and let cook until done, turning a couple times. Well, it didn't come out SUPER tender, but it was pretty tasty! I sliced it into smaller pieces and lay them in a lettuce leaf in one section of the bento. I also included pickled cucumber, steamed kabocha (which I added to the rice cooker about 10 minutes before it was finished), peapods and a carved carrot. Last section has cherries and a mini mandarin. I think I may be getting back into the bento swing, slowly. ^_^

14 comments:

  1. oh yeah, love these ribs! Is this a show on regular cable or do you catch it on satellite/web? Not that I'm actually able to watch anything unless it's really late at night. lol. I love these time saving ideas.. 18 minutes for this gorgeous bento.. sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so tasty! The show sounds funny to watch :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're back into the swing of t hings. What a fab idea! I love marmalade too. Thanks for sharing. Another healthy and fun bento.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a show on Hawaii cable. I'm so bummed I can't see it here, but I caught back episodes that my mom recorded. Gotta love the time-saving wacky ideas out there. Some are actually useful!

    Thanks Jenn. It's funny, and also amazing to see what people come up with. One guy actually used a wide straw to de-bone a fish.

    Thanks Debra. Encouraging comments from you always get me going; appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the show blurb: http://kikutv.com/26-hoursday.asp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy!!! Make me drooling and want to eat your bento now...hehe. I always like to look at your colorful bento. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cooking show is very popular nowadays. This bento looks gorgeous and delicious! Appropriate for adult bento too ... oh yes (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time saving ideas are always IN. Adored the idea, tempted to try! I was thinking about... crushed pineapples from a can :P. or Pineapple marmalade?
    :)
    Everything looks so good! *staring starving to those kabocha pieces* LOL
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish and I love the way you use the pick for the tangerine. I'm guessing you've done it before, but I only just now noticed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Emily, Lia, karaimame and Pikko.
    Yep, I've used that pick before. It makes the tangerine look like a pumpkin on a vine :)

    ReplyDelete