Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mini Snowman Bento


Mini Snowman Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
I wanted to make a mini bento for Christmas since I haven't made one in such a long time. I initally wanted to do a miniature Christmas tree, but then I thought a tiny snowman would be so cute! I planned to make little snowballs to go with him and everything, but after working with the snowman himself I think the microsnowballs would be too much trouble. As it was the "snow" stuck to the plastic wrap and thus doesn't look quite smooth. I made three balls out of cream cheese for the snowman, and decorated his face with nori, a carrot nose and a yellow carrot corncob pipe. He also has purple carrot buttons and a carrot top hat. His arms are dry somen. As you can see, just as real snowmen do he started to melt after awhile, and began to lean to the side. I propped him up for the picture but lay him down after I was done. He is on a tofu platform and there's a bare tree next to him as well as his watermelon radish mittens. I wanted to poke the mittens on his arms but then his arms would have fallen off for sure! The rest of the bento contains a satsuma mandarin, grapes, peapods and carrots. Merrry Christmas!

23 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that's adorable! He's not melting, he's just in the middle of a dance, hehe. Love the mittens :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! I'm gonna go with that, thanks tofugirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok,read this aloud with a high-pitched squeaky voice.

    Oh my gosh...it's so cuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very very cute!!!!!! its like dancing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Sheri, that is BRILLIANT and SUPER CUTE! How did you come out with this idea? No need to ask right? You are so talented my friend. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Merry Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O_O Making balls with cream cheese is totally MacGyver thingie! Very nice idea!! And I love the pink mittens... the snowman is so cute!!
    ^_^
    Happy Holidays to you too Sheri! Hope you and your lovely family have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a way, I think the slow melting makes the snowman look even more realistic. You did a great job getting him to stand up - I know mine would be rolling around in the "snow" almost as soon as he was put together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, mini snowman is so adorable!! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Clever and sweet details, love the snowy white tofu platform...so charming. Thanks for the holiday cheer, wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much Sysyl, Lia, karaimame, Stretching My Imagination, Jenn and Bentobird -- felt good to make the little snowman. My girl was smitten and had fun eating everything in this bento, including the tofu block. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! I love the leaning, melting part like real snowmans. Lol! Great touch! Even a 'corncob' pipe... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This mini snowman is so cute! I know why he looks like melting: because he's smoking hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really attractive, and now I know that you could eventually close the box by putting the snowman to bed! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thanks so much Chantale, tatabonita and vegetarianzoe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soooo awesome!! I love it so much, I am going to share it with my FB fans!! I am so happy I found this blog...my 4 year old might actually start eating her lunch!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot The Little Helper!! I saw your FB fans coming over to take a look. It's fun to put a little cuteness into your children's lunches, and I hope you have as much fun as I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want that tree pick!!! Where'd you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine from Daiso. You can also check amazon and Jlist. Hope this helps!

      Delete