Monday, November 1, 2010

Temarizushi


Temarizushi, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today is Japan's National Sushi Day so to celebrate, the #twitterfoodparty decided to hold a special sushi party. There's still time to contribute if you'd like; it's only a virtual party so you can some and go as you please. I made temarizushi, which are small ball-shaped rice balls wrapped in fish or shrimp or... in my case I took a few liberties. I made one with a ham and sesame seed flower, one with carrot and radish stars and moon with furikake, one with carrot maple leaves, a black rice one with quail egg and black sesame seeds, one with purple carrots and peapod detail, and one traditional one with smoked salmon and radish and parsley. These tiny treats are perfect for parties and are dainty enough to eat neatly with your fingers, popping them into your mouth for a single tasty bite. Aren't they cute? Just right for bento too. If you'd like to join our monthly party, feel free to follow along on twitter and label your contributions with the relevant hashtag. Today? #twittersushiparty. Thanks for coming along ^_^

19 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful Temarizushi arrangement, Sheri! Each one a delicate jewel, such delicacy in these carefully wrought details. Very special indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! My favorite is the one with the stars and moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so pretty! I have never heard of temarizushi before. And you know what? I've never tried it before either! Look delish. What a gorgeous presentation Sheri! I love it. Too pretty to eat..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jenn! So sweet! They were meant to suggest jewels, I think. You put it so nicely.
    Thank you Jessical!
    Thanks Chantale. You can try it -- by making it yourself! So easy. Lots of mini rice balls are even more fun to eat than a single big one. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are so lovely. You did a great job! I was so excited to try my first sushi rolls, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. These temarizushi look like they'd be a lot of fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they looks really great!
    I love your variations of temarisushi. They look delicious!
    I really would like to have them on my next party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen anything like this! Your photo took my breath away, absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in big WOW for this! Looks so elegant and beautiful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so pretty! Might taste as wonderfully :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't realize it was your first try, Sonoma Bento. You can't tell! If you can make onigiri, you can make temarizushi. So easy. Wrap with whatever you like. Cute and fun too!
    Thanks Lil'chan! Definitely a fun party food. You should try!
    OhayoBento: That's really so sweet. Appreciate it a lot!
    Thanks so much Lia!
    karaimame: The kids like the cuteness factor although my girl likes to deconstruct them to eat :/ Thanks!
    Thanks Mrs. P!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh Sheri these are so beautiful!! I especially like the black rice one with quail egg,but they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That one's my favorite too. Thanks a lot Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps, I just had to show this to my mom..she'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh sheri it's sooo beautiful.I love temarizushi so much!! But I didn't know Japan's National Sushi Day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really? That's funny!
    Every day should be National Sushi Day in Japan, I think :)
    Thanks a lot maki!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are beautiful -- so elegant, delicate, and grown up. just a perfect shot, thanks for making me smile with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your creations. so cute. i would be so hesitant to eat this kind of beauty. i specially love the one with black rice. i love how you blended it with the rest. didn't realize it was quail egg on top of the black rice. im sure you'll like my Japanese Sautéed Firm Tofu & Black Rice. check this recipe out: http://blackrice.com/recipes/10/

    ReplyDelete