Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mummy Musubi and Ghosties Bento


Mummy Musubi Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
We're coming up on the last couple days of Halloween bento, so bear with me and we'll soon be back to normal. But I really wanted to use this mummy idea since string cheese really does look like gauzy mummy wrapping, doesn't it? And since my boy has recently informed me he likes "raw" cheese now, I get to try it! I made a rice ball with black rice and criss-crossed some thin string cheese strips on top. Since the rice was warm, it melted on a little bit and needed no other fastening. Have you ever had rice and cheese? I haven't, but he said he liked it. I made some eyes with pink and purple carrot discs -- nothing could be easier. Voila: mummy.
This was accompanied by a piece of luscious misoyaki butterfish leftover from dinner the night before. I really love this fish; I think it's another one of my top ten foods of all time. I used the recipe here but this time I marinated for over 48 hours, only possible if you can procure a very fresh piece of fish. I got mine from my local farmer's market, and it was delicious. I used to think it was called butterfish due to its buttery texture; it melts in your mouth and has a very silky quality.
TinySprite is a fan of the fish too, but I decided to give her something a little more user-friendly. While her brother can neatly and deftly handle all kinds of food types, she's a little more, um, hands-on -- so the easier the food is to manipulate, the more she can end up actually eating. I made cutout ghost sandwiches with ham and cheese, and stuck some mini chocolate chips as facial features. There's also a persimmon jack-o-lantern along with carrots, broccoli, purple cauliflower, tomatoes, grapes and apples -- just as in her brother's bento. Double bento --> done!

17 comments:

  1. wow...both bentos are so beautiful and cute. I wanted to say again...Your bento always brighten up my days with those cute foods and veriety of color. :)
    Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mummy was a great idea!
    Rice and cheese actually taste good, some months ago I found a recipe of rice with melted cheese (like gouda) and it was very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a fantastic looking mummy! I love it! Totally made me laugh in delight. And yes! I actually love rice with cheese.. especially rice with chili and melted cheese on top. It's goooooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had rice and cheese, paneer and basmati rice! Does that count? :)

    Cute idea!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, you're very sweet. Thank you for the nice words.

    Kitsune, that does sound good! I'd like to try it. Thank you :)

    Chantale, I forgot about chili rice. Of course, I have to have melty cheese on top of that! Thanks :D

    Debra, I love paneer and rice too! Good one. Hehe! Thanks :o)

    Thanks javapot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheri, your double bento is a champion! I like the mummy very much. Nice one for TS too. Halloween bento has to end soon? I have been enjoying your Halloween bento ... So have to wait for more until next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect mummy! Purple skin, orange eyes, just wow! Feeling already sad that your halloween bentos are in the end....
    The ghosts are so cute ^_^, chocolate chips are such a neat idea.. I wonder when they will start selling them here. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mummy is awesome! Another double bento win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both bentos are beautiful. And you're right, the string cheese really does look like bandages. I can't eat cheese/dairy or meat - do you have ideas on what else might work? The purple cauliflower on each bento makes the whole thing pop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son is a bit young for bentos just yet (8 months...) but when it comes time, I know I can refer to your blog for some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both these bentos! The mummy is especially inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lia, karaimame, Ohayobento, Stretching My Imagination, Wyatt's Mom and hypothermya!

    SMI: I used tortilla strips on today's bento as mummy bandages. It looks pretty good too. Do try it!

    Thank for the support Wyatt's Mom. I think it's great that you're already thinking about your son's future nutrition. I had a lot of fun making infant/toddler bento for my kids. You can change up texture easily by mashing, dicing or scrambling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the mummy ...and your description about the fish is just making me so hungry .... delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lina!
    This fish is really really good. I mean, it melts in your mouth like butter; I'm not kidding! I hope you can find it and try it. You can do misoyaki with salmon too; it's also good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are double talented! I love the mummy with the carrot eyes. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete