Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mabo Tofu Snowman Bento

Mabo Tofu Snowman Bento by sherimiya ♥
Mabo Tofu Snowman Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
Today's mabo tofu elicited this comment from MisterMan: It's not REALLY mabo tofu because it's not spicy. Wellll, technically I suppose that's true. But the adult batch is certainly spicy! I always split the batch into two so that the kids can eat the bland half while the adults can enjoy the red spicy chiliness of authentic mabo tofu. We love it hot hot hot! Woot! I also made their version kind of dry so that it's more bento-friendly. I layered it over rice in a lettuce leaf before adding a tofu snowman on top. I used oval cutters to make the body, cut the hat free-hand from Okinawan sweet potato (and yellow carrot), cut purple carrot buttons, orange carrot nose, and nori eyes and mouth. The hands are those handy bone picks again. Told you these were versatile. Other side contains grapes, raspberries, strawberry, carrots, broccoli and baby crabapple.

Oh, and in other news, I was just notified by Stuart Reb Donald (Wannabe TV Chef) himself that I was awarded the 2011 WTVC Food Blog Best Niche Site Award. Wow, thanks Stuart! Will wear the badge proudly! Check out his site for interviews and commentary on all kinds of food-related TV and celebrity news and shows. Happy December friends! ^_^

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Awards and recognition, Sheri! I love the tofu snowman and love his hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award - it is definitely deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your recognition!!! Love the tofu snowman!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your award and recognition Sheri! You really deserved it! ;)
    I love your snowman! It's too cute and I love your super mini santa made from quail egg with that big red nose too! You're really very very creative and talented! You can make almost anything when it comes to certain festivals and occasions! *thumbs up!* ;D

    Happy weekend!

    PS: I couldn't comment on your post before this one via my phone yesterday that's why I commented it here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Sheri! That's so cool!

    I love this mabo tofu bento. From Mister Man's comments, it sounds like he might be closer to eating the adult version, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyn, thanks so much! You're always so encouraging and supportive; I really appreciate it. XO

    Thanks Sonoma! Yep, his taste buds can handle more heat now, and he's starting to not want to "miss out" on the stuff we're eating. He is usually wiling to try anything, at least a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't made mabo tofu for a while... now I got craving for it. Kids love mabo tofu! I love your cute little snowman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love ma bo tofu too, especially during the cold weather. Thanks Nami!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all the tofu snowman is awesome and also.. Congratulations Sheri!!! That is so exciting! You so deserve it and in fact, why don't you have your own cooking show??! I think a book is also long overdue my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulation, Sheri...*hugs* you deserve it...:)
    the tofu snowman certainly looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks dear Chantale; you're always too sweet! XO
    Thank you too Yenny! Luv ya :D

    ReplyDelete