Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tebasaki and Kabocha Jack Bento

Today I packed another guaranteed kid favorite: tebasaki chicken wings. I won't tell you how many we make, but I always make more than I think we'll eat so that there will be enough to pack for bento. Today I cleaned out the wings at the butcher. If you haven't yet tried this recipe (see the method and recipe here), you really should. It's easy, and it's deliciously addicting. You won't be able to stop after 5, or 10, or ... well, now you see why I have to make so many. I skip the shichimi togarashi for the kids, but you can sprinkle furikake instead if you like. They are already salted, so my kids love them just as is, straight out of the oven. They are also good cold or at room temp, making them perfect for bento. I used a deep bento box to pack a bunch of wings, plus the usual sides: corn, broccoli, carrots, pluots, strawberry, blackberries, Okinawan sweet potato car, and my Jack-of-the-day, carved from a roasted kabocha slice. So it's really a Japanese pumpkin jack-o-lantern. How about that? ^_^

12 comments:

  1. Hi! You make such beautiful bentos. They are so impressive and lovingly prepared. But I was wondering: why do you often prepare the "usual sides" of same fruit and veg -- is that what your kids like best? Anyway, thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have a "usual" repertoire of fruit and vegetables that I use depending on the season, and they change throughout the year. They just happen to be what I always have on hand. Most of the time I only lightly cook (e.g. steam) vegetables, or roast them in the fall and winter. I'd like to start including pickled vegetables too, because my kids do like pickled stuffs as well. I try to include something green, orange, yellow and purple in each vegetable section if I can, to keep things balanced and appealing. Thanks for visiting :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your prompt reply. Because of your blog, I tried out pluots from the local farmers' market, and oh goodness were they ever delicious! Now just need to find courage to make calzone. Thanks, and happy bento-making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you found some sweet juicy pluots! I hope you try the calzones. I think you'll find that if I can manage to make something, it means it's quite doable for the average (non-gourmet) home cook. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and I'm hooked! Have you tried this chicken recipe with drumsticks? I have a 2.5 year old and I think the little chicken wings might be too difficult to eat by herself. Also, is the Shichimi Togarashi too spicy for kids? I've had it at ramen houses, but it didn't add that much spice to my soup (although I do like things really spicy so maybe I just couldn't tell:)). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi laulaus ~ I think the little wings are a perfect finger food for toddlers, who love to eat with their hands. You can practice with her at home to make sure she doesn't gnaw on the bones :) As for the togarashi, I mention that it might be too spicy for kids, but you can use furikake instead. My kids like it as is, with just the salt sprinkle. You should definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMmm!!! Those tebasaki chicken wings look and sound as delish as you described! I've read thru your recipe and bookmarked! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are totally addictive! My kids could eat them every week. Not kidding!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try them out then! lol
    Eating weekly of these baked wings are better than fried ones! ;D

    ReplyDelete