Monday, September 26, 2011

Flatbread Pizza and Jacks Bento

Flatbread Pizza Bento by sherimiya ♥
Flatbread Pizza Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
Yes, I know we just had flatbread pizza like, 2 weeks ago, because I see it in my flickr photostream there. Actually, we've had it even more recently than that for dinner. Okay, we probably have pizza and calzones every week. The kids clamor for it, and they love it, and it's so easy. I'm thinking we should have been doing this all summer, in fact. Today's version is meatless. We used zucchini, baby portobella mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. I added steamed corn and broccoli, a bat-shaped Okinawan sweet potato, pluots, strawberry, and carved orange cherry tomatoes. I carved these tomatoes into jack-o-lanterns for our twitter tomato party, and decided to use them in the bento here for festive fun. Is it too early for jack-o-lanterns and Halloween decorations? Last year I was on a mission to carve as many jack-o-lanterns as I could, from as many orange foods that I could find. You can see the collection in my set here. (I also did it in 2009, here.) I discovered there are quite a few orange colored foods that can be carved. Should I continue the tradition? ^_^
I've been asked: how did I carve the tiny tomato?
With a tiny knife.
Here's a tutorial I made showing how I carved a mini sweet pepper. The technique is basically the same for, well, all the little foods I carve into jack-o-lanterns. ^_^

13 comments:

  1. Eeep! I love this, so so cute! And so clean cut. As for the answer to how you carved the tiny 'pumpkins'.. duh me! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chantale, not at all!
    I admit it's probably very weird to carve non-pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns, and I appreciate you not pointing that out. But give me a tiny microblade and you can't stop me. Heh.
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should absolutely continue! They're awesome! The stems on the tomatoes give them the coolest hats, I love their look, wish I was that fashionable. :) Is it Halloween time already?!?! Where did the year go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! ... those jack-olanterns are too cute!!! ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stem hats are the best part of all jacks! I know; I can't believe it's the season already either. Thanks Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These tomatoes jack-o-lanterns are too cute! *thumbs up* ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lyn ~ these are fun. I'll be carving more for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're most welcome, Sheri! Looking forward to more of your great carvings! Enjoy your wonderful weekend! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it is wanderful! And that pizza seems very very italian... and... I'm italian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh, cool! Glad you think so and thanks Nala! ^_^

    ReplyDelete