Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kalua Pork Carnitas Taco Bento

We're on day two of the kalua pork now (here's day one plus the recipe/method for making slow-cooker kalua pork), so I thought I would change it up and make carnitas tacos for the kids. Actually, they're deconstructed, so he'll make them himself (if he so chooses). For carnitas, I just pan-fried the pork so it gets nice and crispy. You could add garlic and lime juice if you like. I tucked some into one of the compartments of the Lunchbot Trio, along with a cup of pico de gallo (just chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic powder and lime). If you like it spicy you can add chili peppers but I omitted them for the kids. There are a few pieces of lettuce he can use in his tortillas, which just happen to fit perfectly in the long section. I was so happy to see that! Finally, he gets the usual strawberry, blackberries and chopped cara cara oranges for a sweet snack afterwards. A few purple carrot flower shapes brighten it all up. No fuss bento idea number two from the same meal. Gotta love that :o)

12 comments:

  1. I just love the name "kalua", it's totally a new thing to me but it sounds a perfect combination with the tortilla :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! I love it when a meal can be stretched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and fresh, I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double drooooooooooooooooooooooool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God, there you go again! Yummy and fabulous!!! I'm going to post this on our Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot tatabonita, Shaz, Sandy, Heather, Chantale, Ado and Debra! So sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! That looks delicious! Next time I have kalua pig, I'm making tortillas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so simple but the wrap looks SO amazingly cute with those carrot cherry blossoms... Wish I could get my hands on purple carrots too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Triple drool!! So neat way to use the leftovers! The bento is so fresh looking :)
    Oh... do you think it would work well to make tamales too? OH GOSH, now I am hungry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot Egg104, gnoegnoe and karaimame!
    I'm sure they would be delicious in tamales. I've never made them but I love to eat them :)

    ReplyDelete