Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hello Kitty and Octodogs Bento

I haven't shown a TinySprite bento in while -- they're usually a smaller version of her big brother's, so I only snap a photo of his bento. Lately, however, her appetite has been uneven, and there've been a few times that she's only eaten the fruit and left the main part of her meal uneaten. I find that when she eats lunch at home with me she has a much bigger appetite. Her favorite things to ask for are: a hot dog wrap (with melted cheddar and lettuce), egg-in-the-hole (basically buttered toast with an egg pan-fried right into a hole cut out of the center), string cheese, "whatever meat we might have leftover in the fridge", berries and yogurt. Yes, ALL of that. So I'm thinking that it may be she's eating less at school because she talks too much with her bff Ava R. Her teacher says they do everything together: ride bikes, hold hands on walks, even paint on the same paper. Okay, fine. So I've made a little cute bento in hopes that she'll gobble this one all up. I used a whole turkey dog to make two octopi and one crab (hidden under the broccoli tree), some peapods, and a quail egg Hello Kitty with radish ears, nori eyes and a yellow carrot nose. I poked the ears into slits I made with my knife, and I also pushed the nose into a slit as well, to keep it in place. At first I pushed it too far in, so I reached in with my plastic tweezers and pulled it back out. No problem! It just occurred to me that you might even cut a hole and let the yellow yolk show through for the nose. I also added a tiny strawberry and some chopped cara cara oranges, all in the cute My Melody aluminum box I found at Marukai on sale. Yay! How can she resist this one? ^_^

11 comments:

  1. I love the octopus hotdogs! :) simple but cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TS' bento is so cute! Sometimes kids in her age still play a lot with their classmates during lunch time. So socialize is more important than their lunch LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, very cute.
    Where did you get the red bow for HK?
    Your octo dogs are cute.
    When I do mine, I think I boil them way too long. (They're also beef, b/c my dad is allergic to turkey.) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Egg104!
    Lia, did your kids socialize too much too? Sigh. My boy never put anything before eating lunch (still the same now) -- hehe!
    キャサリン : the little bow came in a pack with the hats I used on the octodogs. I think I got them at Ichiban Kan, but jlist or other online retailers should have them. Beef dogs turn out better, I think. The turkey ones can break easily if not careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Those are the cutest octodogs ever!
    :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the delighted expressions on your octodogs! And the strawberry looking like a plush, red heart :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same problem with Speedy and his snackbox. He usually just drinks his tetrapak of milk or juice and whatever fruit. He leaves the main snack untouched most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi i love you bento design and veggies that you put in. BTW, i'm visiting LA soon, can you recommend 1 or 2 Marukai market that has most bento accessories in downtown LA? I will be staying around Anaheim.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable Sheri! My kids would love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet Tiny Sprite totally nommed on this. Super cute, and the foods she loves. Nice work Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot Kitsune, Bentobird, shaz, Susan and Sonoma Bento!

    All the Marukai markets have a good bento selection. You should be able to find whatever you need there.

    ReplyDelete