Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Garlic Shrimp and Farro Bento

Today's bento contains farro topped with pan-fried garlic shrimp and spinach. This grain is pretty hearty and substantial, and I cooked it so that it had just a little chewiness to it. Seems like it would be good as a breakfast meal (like oatmeal, with cinnamon and brown sugar) to me. Or does that sound strange? Anyway, you can use this grain as rice, pasta, and tossed with just about whatever vegetables or meat you like. It's very versatile. I roasted some asparagus and added a steamed sweet potato bear face. Fruit section contains the usual strawberry and grapes. Pretty quick one, but healthy and satisfying for my growing boy.

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Farro before but it sounds like it would be very tasty! I will have to look in to it! I love the cute little teddy face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've always wanted to cook with farro but never get around to it. I feel more inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. Never heard about Farro. But looks so yummy! You have a lot of great choices there. So envy hehehe ... MM so lucky to have his nutritious bento with cute little teddy touch (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither have I heard of Farro... lol
    What a cute happy bear to company Mister Man when he's having his bento! (I thot it was made of carrot at 1st coz of the sweet potato's color, very bright) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'll just echo everyone here, what in heck is farro? I'll google it. lol! I love the little tiger.. reminds me of those old korean school books my dad got me to learn korean. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) the bear made me smile! Thank you ^_^
    Tell me Sheri dear, is your farro spelt or whole wheat "corn"? I so so so so love these kind of meals! I could chew them forever, savory or as porridge in the morning... yum!
    Ah... and the asparagus... *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot everyone for your interest! I've never cooked with farro either, but there are various methods for preparing it.
    karaimame, I don't know the difference between the two types. Mine is in a package that's all in Italian! It's brownish though, so kind of looks like whole wheat. I think I'll make a big pot and try it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the food look so good and yummy.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete