Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Egg and Jook Bento

Got the inspiration for today's bento from my very own scratchy throat and cough. The cough is especially annoying, and has been lingering for a few days now. I can tell it's getting better when I can get through a whole sentence without suddenly hacking off to the side for a couple minutes. I made jook for myself, really, but the kids love it too so I packed some for them (my basic jook recipe is here). For this batch I used white and brown rice, a mixture of organic chicken broth and water, and added baby spinach, green onion and steamed wild cod fillet into the bubbling soup. I also drizzled hot chili oil on top of mine but omitted for the kids. I packed it in our trusty Stanley thermal food jar so it'll be nice and toasty come lunchtime. He also gets a side box filled with a half mandarin, strawberry, grapes, blackberry, steamed broccoli and a cute little quail egg chick. I'd attempted to make the zig-zag egg cut before without success, so I boiled a few eggs in case I encountered trouble. This time it worked beautifully the first try. I used a sharp razor blade to make each tiny individual cut, and then pulled the two halves apart gently. If you have a thin blade paring knife, you could use that as well. Make sure your egg is boiled completely hard, to make it easier. I added nori eyes and a carrot beak, and now the little chickie is ready to pop out and be eaten!

17 comments:

  1. Cute and comforting! The chick is beautifully done! Jook is perfect for your cold, hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Sheri! Hope you're much better now... Yes, both of us pet little chicks in our bento boxes hehehe ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon, Sheri...the chick is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chick is the cutest thing ever. Admire your steady hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan, tatabonita and Yenny! I'm hoping I'll kick this thing very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon! My mom makes jook everytime somebody is sick too, with lots of ginger.

    The chick egg thingy is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such cute eggs always!  I'm having an itchy throat too. And it's driving me crazy! Good thing my boys haven't caught my germs. Hope you'll get well soon! (and me too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. get well soon Sheri, and i amazed that you can made this bento although you are sick now....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable little chick! I hope you feel better soon Sheri :( Jook to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just the sweetest little chicky! I really hope you feel better and the coughing stops this weekend so you can get some decent sleep Sheri.. I used to love adding kimchi to my jook when I was a kid.. mmm, salty and spicy with the rice and broth.. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, get well soon Sheri dear! Super-jook will help for sure!
    The chick is a cutie, perfect match with the sweet picks ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so kawaii!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. comfort good!! Hope you feel better! And the chick is chic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the little chick, you have done a great job! I hope you get well soon, I am still struggling to 'kill' my sore throat and runny nose too :(.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so very much everyone! I received your well-wishes and I am on the brink of complete recovery to normalcy. WOO!
    Hope you all have a great week coming up :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi sheri, hope you are all better soon! i am sure that jook is the cure :-)
    love this perfect little egg, and the combo of pretty fresh veg/fruit with comforting soupy porridge. not sure if you are getting warm springlike weather in the SF area, but if the weather is anything like NY, MM will surely appreciate this hot lunch!

    ReplyDelete