Monday, April 4, 2011

Bear Friends Bento and Apple Bunnies

Bear Friends Bento by sherimiya ♥
Bear Friends Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
We're back to school again after a week off for Spring Break. Did you miss us? I admit it's a bit slow getting back into the routine; I have to stock up the refrigerator and start menu planning again. So today's bento is a no-cook one consisting of ready-bought mini char siu baos. I cut the ears using a round cutter for a guide and scoring with a paring knife, then propped them up with a bit of rice stick. The facial details are cut from nori and I also used an oval piece of mozzarella cheese stick. The cheese is stuck on with rice stick too. The nori sticks well to cheese, but the eyes I glued on with honey. There's also steamed broccoli, orange and purple carrots, a half mandarin, black grapes and a strawberry. Here are some closeups of the bear friends:


Today was our monthly Twitterfoodparty, and this month's theme was apples. There were lots of delicious and creative recipes using this year-round fruit! I knew I wouldn't have time to cook anything in time, so I resorted to that bento staple, the apple bunny. Here I've carved a family of three, happily munching a broccoli-topped carrot together. Aren't they sweet? You can get the ears to curl if you let them sit in ice lemon water for awhile. The lemon will keep the apples from browning. Just a few cuts (and maybe a bit of practice to avoid shortened ears) and you've got a quick cute addition to your ordinary bento. Yay!



19 comments:

  1. i love these cutie bear friends! you are always so clever in your bun carving :-)

    love the happy bunny family too -- perfect with their liitle carrot! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks megan! Mini buns are fun to play with too; who knew? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. the apple bunnies are so cute and creative!! and i love how you made the ears on the little bears by just cutting the top layer of the bun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't even tell that they are made from bao! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't even tell that they are made from bao! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, miss your bento. You really have good hands to create super cute bao! I adore those bao bears ♥ Nice cut for apple bunnies, now they are too cute to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bento bunnies are too cute - and they look easy to make too. Are the eyes nori?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you decorate the bao, they are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bear bao, they are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes I missed you! I wish I could get to chinatown now and get myself some char siu buns to eat. sigh. Even your fast no cook bentos are so darn cute! The gorgeous gorgeous bunny apples.. wow. Just beautiful. Hope you didn't eat it. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sheri, how are you? So happy to see all your lovely bentos again. :)
    The bears and the apple bunnies are too cute to eat..great bento. Love the broccoli-topped carrot, you are so creative!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who said to be good on details even on Monday ;)? These are the most adorable bears I´ve ever seen!
    Sooooooo cute, the close ups pics makes me aaaaaw ^___^!
    Gorgeous usagi ringo!!! Your apple bunnies are so stylish... and the carrot with broccoli is just brilliant!
    Have a great week Sheri dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bear buns are too adorable...! I have been thinking of adding buns too to my bento instead of rice the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, bear friends are so warm and delightful! Glad you are back to bentoing, love the lighthearted charm they add to my day...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much LittleAsianGirl, Debra, Lia, Marfio, Ohayobento, mama elaine, Chantale, Emily, karaimame, Cooking Gallery and Bentobird!

    So happy to see your sweet comments. They made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I've missed so much!! These bear friends are adorable and the apple bunnies are perfectly cut! :) Beautiful and fun bento! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Susan! Thanks for stopping by!! And your sweet comment :D

    ReplyDelete