Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Misobutterfish Bento and Bento4Japan

Misobutterfish Bento by sherimiya ♥
Misobutterfish Bento a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I used a nice butterfish filet for the kids' lunches today. Misoyaki is my favorite preparation of this fish (recipe here). I like it with a bowl of hot rice, but my boy will prefer it as is in his bento. I've packed it in lettuce leaf, and it almost looks like a misobutterfish salad here, topped with steamed satsumaimo flower cutouts. It looks like a small piece of fish but don't worry; there's more underneath. After the fish was done I pan-roasted some sliced kabocha and halved brussels sprouts and tossed those in here too. The fruit section contains cara cara oranges, grapes, raspberries and blueberries.
If you've had a chance to check out our Bento4Japan charity auction going on right now on eBay, thanks a lot! If you haven't, there's still time. There are currently 15 items up for grabs, and remember - 100% of sales goes to disaster relief in Japan. So you can shop in good conscience, knowing your money is going to a good cause. The worldwide bento community has banded together in this endeavor, and you'll see branches of this fundraising drive in the UK as well. If you'd like to join us, you can read about the mission here at the Bento4Japan HQ blog. You may not think you can do much as an individual, but our collective efforts can make a difference. In the first day of auction, $345.12 has been committed already. Thank you to everyone who has contributed! Let's hope recovery comes quickly for Japan.

9 comments:

  1. love this and bento for Japan will help spread the word

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful & delish! Mastery in a box.. You're right Sheri, a little something from all of us will eventually make a big difference in the end. There are some gorgeous things on auction! I also hope recovery comes quickly for Japan..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca -- would really appreciate it!

    Thanks Chantale! Mastery? Haha!
    The auction has taken off; I'm so happy about it. Feels good that we're doing something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely bento, and that misoyaki butterfish is added to my list of things to try. I am so glad that Mils and Chantale put this Bento4Japan idea together. The news from Japan is so heartbreaking and I felt like I needed to do more. Let's keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree Michelle. I'm with you! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always admire the color coordination for your bentoes, Sheri...
    Bento4Japan is totally an awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Misobutterfish! Looking good on the bed of veggies. The fruit compartment is amazing! Fresh bento and super yum :)
    I am loving to see everyone getting together for the Bento4Japan! Makes me very happy... it can be small thing but I hope it still can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks karaimame!
    So happy to see your Bento4Japan package too! Looks fantastic; and it's great to see contributions in UK too. I think it's a great thing to get people involved.

    ReplyDelete