Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Santa Pucca Portuguese Bean Soup Bento

Since we're on a roll with the thermal bento food, why not continue with Portuguese bean soup? I was reminded of this Hawaii cold weather staple by a twitter pal who tweeted a photo of her pot simmering away. I get lots of meal ideas on twitter: foodie folks are always posting recipes and photos - just a quick scan through my stream brings up a whole bunch of options. One of the best things I love about twitter. This recipe is adapted from Sam Choy, except with lots of extra added veggies and stuff. Here's my version (method and recipe here).
I used kale, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, celery, onions, potatoes, lentils and kidney beans. There is Portuguese sausage too, of course, but the best part of the soup is the addition of ham hocks to the soup base; it adds a delicious smoky salty flavor. Along with the thermal jar of soup, I packed a side box with orange slices, broccoli and grapes, plus a little Pucca dressed for winter in her santa suit. Her face is a quail egg, her dress is red pepper, the trim is radish with a cabbage ruffle hem. Her hair is blackberries and her features are nori and sriracha. ^_^

9 comments:

  1. Hmm, how much do those thermal jars run? And how do they hold up to tipping and carrying around for a few hours? Are they heavy? I posted a long complaint on cold bento on Flickr...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's quite a wide price range depending on the size and quality of the jar. I've used the Zojirushi, Stanley (which you see here) and Thermos brands. My favorite is the Stanley. It runs around $20 and is pretty hefty due to its stainless steel construction, but has turned out to be virtually indestructible And on top of that, it keeps food PIPING hot for 7 hours. Not kidding! It doesn't leak and my 8 year old can open and close it easily. I highly recommend it.
    The Thermos brand isn't as good (http://happylittlebento.blogspot.com/2011/03/hot-jook-thermal-bento.html)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the santa pucca is very pretty. the contrast color of oranges add the beauty of pucca :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe sounds very tasty, I will cook it soon. And the little Pucca is sooo awesome! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and it sounds so delicious! The weird thing is - I was just about to make a bean soup and pucca bento. ^^ Just with Azuki beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum, I will definitely try your soup but After I make your Tebasaki chicken wings recipe!! (^^) Everytime I see that post I think "I Gotta have that for dinner tonight!" But this soup looks wonderful too; I love kale. And Miss Pucca is the cutest little thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Yenny, Mokiko, AikoVenus and berrygirl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so yummy.. And.. Pucca!! My noodle-loving girl! So so cute.

    ReplyDelete