Monday, November 21, 2011

Mackin Cheese Thermal Bento

Here's another time-saving meal that I really should make more often. Who doesn't love mac and cheese? And it doesn't have to be plain and boring; you can feel free to add all kinds of interesting and fancy ingredients. It's your meal and you can make it however you want! So here's an "interesting" twist on this batch. I usually make mac and cheese on the stovetop and finish it in the oven and under the broiler (like here and here), but I just didn't have time for all that this time. After mixing the macaroni with the milky, cheesy, creamy sauce, I had an urge to make it more nutritious (surprise). I was going to throw in some steamed broccoli florets (which I sort of did, as you can see), but then I had a genius idea. What about kabocha? Since everything was already basically cooked, I steamed the kabocha separately, just enough for it to keep its shape without getting mushy. Then I diced them and gently tossed and folded them in. Since the squash is orange, it blends right in. Not that I was trying to hide it or anything. But I was so pleased with myself that I waited until the kids had finished licking their 3rd bowls before I casually mentioned that I had added "like, a half a kabocha" in there. TinySprite wasn't phased. She was the one who, when I asked whether she wanted mac and cheese, responded "Sure! I love cheese. What's mackin?" But MisterMan's head snapped right up and he said "What?!" That's right, buddy! Muahaha!! Okay, maybe their taste buds aren't all that discriminating. Or maybe there was just so much real cheddar in there that they totally missed it. But I am inordinately happy that my kabocha passed itself off as cheddar so easily. I really love this squash, if I haven't mentioned it already. ^_^
Added to Allergy-Friendly Lunchbox Love.

11 comments:

  1. what a great blend in for all the good ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love Mackin cheese with broccoli :) The kabocha is genius BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. What a great way to introduce new veggies. I bought that Hello Kitty canister thing for my niece. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha!
    Thanks Bobo, Heather and Haej!
    The kabocha / cheddar thing is one of my finer moments, if I may say so myself. This thermal jar works pretty well and is the perfect size for the toddler set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound very yummy.. Love the recipe..

    New to ur space and absolutely love it here.. following u.. Do visit me as time permits..


    Jabeen's Corner

    Ongoing Event - Bonjour

    Find me on Facebook..

    Jabeen's Corner

    Come join in our face book page..

    Food Court

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss your colorful and healthy bento Sheri. Surely this mac and cheese is tasty and special for the kids! I would love to have it for myself too (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha...brilliant idea, Sheri...my kids love mac and cheese too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lia and Yenny! I'm making it again next week. I didn't get enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mac and cheese! This bento must be very yummy...:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mehjabeen Arif and Cooking Gallery :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!love all these cute bento meals...
    Pl link/find blog events in Food Blog Events

    Also join with the weekly event....
    Midweek Fiesta @every Wednesday

    ReplyDelete