Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sticky Rice and Purple Stars Bento

I made sticky rice (see my basic method here) using shiitake mushroom, baby bok choy, Chinese sausage and kabocha (as I did in this bento here). Actually, today's bento looks quite like that last one from 6 months ago, doesn't it? Well, if it works... I like to add in colorful vegetables to increase the nutritional value and make it look appetizing. Since the rice is cooked in chicken broth and the sausage is tossed in during cooking, the rice is infused with lots of flavor. I topped with star-shaped Okinawan sweet potatoes. In this LunchBot, there's also steamed broccoli, peapods, carrots, pluots, strawberry, and cherries.

In other news, Happy Little Bento blog got a writeup on PBS.org by Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife. The article is called "Bento Lunches For Kids", and you can take a look at it here. I hope it gets a lot more parents interested in preparing healthy and nutritious bento lunches for their school-age kids this year!

11 comments:

  1. Your sticky rice sounds and looks so tasty! Especially that you cooked the rice with chicken broth and I love it! I reckon it tastes similar to chicken rice? I'd love to try cooking your version. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the write-up! You are so deserving of it. Your lunches are wonderful. Need a third kid? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so delicious! I'm always amazed at how much variety and gorgeous fruit you have in your bentos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the PBS link on twitter the other day. Awesome write-up! I loved it, congrats!! I think I'm going to have to try your sticky rice recipe because this bento is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though the rice seems covered w the beautiful purple sweet potatoes, the tiny bits that can be seen look really delicious already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm! Will definitely try the sticky rice recipe soon. Is the "sweet rice" listed in the recipe the same same rice used to make mochi?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ꮮуռ էяɨռɨא (ᵐᵋˢˢᵞ ᴻ ᶜʱᵋᵋᵏᵞ) , Jenn, Natakiya, Heather, Xelia and Folly!
    Folly, yes, sweet rice is the same as mochi rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheri! I've visited a few times but this is my first time commenting :) That is such a colorful and delicious looking bento! The fruits and veges make the bento so appetizing.

    Lunch packing is definitely becoming increasingly popular. Congratulations on the write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Biren,
    Thanks so much for taking time to comment. I really appreciate your kind words. Glad to have become "friends" :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this bento; it has such wonderful eye appeal.

    ReplyDelete