Monday, November 26, 2012

Sticky Rice Lup Cheong Bento

Too spent from the activities of the weekend to think about cooking? Sticky rice is one of those one-pot meals that can be thrown together without much planning, which is why I like it so much. See my method and recipe here. I make mine in my rice cooker, tossing the chopped lup cheong, char siu, bok choy, shiitake (and sometimes even kabocha) at the last 15 minutes or so of cooking. I leave the heat on past cook time, just to get the rice on the bottom to burn just a little bit, getting a little crunchy. So good like that. This meal is perfect for bento because it's just as delicious at room temp as it is fresh out of the rice cooker. Sometimes I pack it in a thermal jar, but it's tasty in a regular bento box, like here, too. I topped it with a heart-shaped Okinawan sweet potato, and added plum wedges, a sprig of broccoli, a sun sugar tomato (from the backyard vine -- still growing!), and a grape-grapefruit salad which I hoped would go over well. It didn't. She brought all the grapefruit home. Ah well. Can't win 'em all. ^_^

9 comments:

  1. how convenient
    it looks good too :)
    I will try it out within these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, not a grapefruit fan, huh? Even without eating the grapefruit this makes a great lunch. I've been thinking about sticky rice all weekend! This looks amazing, wish I could have a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a grapefruit fan! I thought she might be tricked by the mingled presence of grapes. Must try something else next time...
      Thanks Heather :)

      Delete
  3. I agree, utterly savory and tootsome bento sparked with such pretty, juicy fruit...sigh!

    ReplyDelete