Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ma Po Tofu Panda Bento Bowl (and why we're eating wheat and soy again!)

And it's yet another donburi-type bento in the ever-favorite panda bowl; this time ma po tofu (adapted from Lovelylanvin's fantastic recipe here). This batch contains chopped pickled mustard greens (because I love 'em), along with scallions and even some choy sum. As usual, there is no hint of chili sauce at all in the kid version, which is why it looks so drab and dull (sigh). You may (or may not) have noticed that ma po tofu had been absent from our menu of late. This is due to the fact that TinySprite had tested positive for both wheat and soy in a blood IgE test. We assumed she was allergic to these foods and I had therefore been diligently trying to remove and replace them in our family diet. Well, recently she was retested via the more accurate skin prick test and we discovered that she is not allergic to wheat or soy at all. In fact, she was negative for all the common food allergens. So here we are eating wheat and soy again! I learned a lot about soy- and gluten-free cooking and eating during those months, and when I shared what I learned on this blog [you can search "gluten free" in the search bar up top and see how much I did!], I discovered that a whole lot of you are allergy-conscious as well. I have a new respect for folks who must live with food allergies; it can be tough and frustrating. I'm not abandoning soy- and gluten-free eating -- I actually like the taste of non-wheat flours, and I still have a lot of soy-free soy sauce (yes, it does exist!). The upper tier doesn't add much in the way of color, with blackberries, black grapes, and orange-fleshed plums, but I hope the sakura-shaped carrots brightened up this ho-hum bento for my girl. ^_^

13 comments:

  1. So glad for TinySprite! I've had a peanut allergy since high school and it's no fun. (makes Halloween candy down-right depressing) I hope she stays allergy free!

    I started with bento because of other food restrictions though... sometimes they can lead to hidden blessings. :)

    R.O.R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words ROR -- and I stopped by to peek at your bento too. Love your posts! Glad that bento is helping you and Herman to get along. I don't regret the allergy-period we went through because it really did teach me a lot about the way we eat in general. And now that we are "food allergy-free" I will always be grateful. Hidden blessings indeed.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, that's good news! Yay Tiny Sprite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. relieved to hear that TS is not allergic now, must've been stressful in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenge; that's for sure. I am definitely relieved to not have to worry about food allergies anymore.

      Delete
  4. So sweet news! Oldest daughter did the prick test when she was a baby, I still remember it. She was having an awful eczema every time I fed her with quick-porridge. Results were lightly positive for soy but doctor said we could keep giving it to her because she was still too young to say she had any allergy. *phew*
    I am so happy for you guys!!
    ^_^
    Wonderful donburi, TS might have been delighted :9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how common it is. Supposedly many kids can outgrow certain food allergies, which is hopeful. I learned a lot during this period, and am very relieved. Thanks karaimame!

      Delete
  5. Looks like so good! Thanks for sharing! I have to say that your kids are really lucky to have a mother like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having wheat and soy or not, you've made each and every meal post a delight to the eyes (and tummy) I'm sure! I'm so happy TS has her full variety of foods back, but I'm still inclined to try a lot of your diet restricted meals because they where just so beautiful and delicious looking! Either way we all still win!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet and encouraging. I'm so happy to read your uplifting words berrygirl; thank you!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing Sherimiya. So sweet. I am so happy to find your blog :)

    ReplyDelete