Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dry Curry Rainbow Bento

Dry Curry Bento by sherimiya ♥
Dry Curry Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
Okay, there isn't really a rainbow in here, but it's pretty cheerfully colorful! I packed MisterMan's dry curry in his metal "apple" shaped bento bowl, which I love. It's good for donburi type rice bowl meals such as this one: I put some mixed black rice (with millet and amaranth) on the bottom, and then scooped some dry curry on top. Dry curry is great for bento because there isn't a lot of soup or gravy to get soggy or leak out. And since this box isn't leakproof, it would have been a concern. I made this dry curry by browning ground meat and sauteeing a mix of diced vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, celery, garlic and onion - I also added potatoes, zucchini and corn - then sprinkling 1-2T curry to the ingredients to release the aromatics. I added about 1/2C water and 2T tonkatsu sauce, stirred and simmered until well absorbed and "dry." If it's too strong you can add applesauce to sweeten it up, which is what I did. Or you can add ketchup. The top tier of this cute bowl contains cara cara oranges, strawberries, grapes, blackberries and blueberries. And a tomato and a couple slivers of mandarinquat. I sent this lunch to school at room temperature, but it's also a great candidate for a thermal jar, to ensure a hot curry meal on a cool winter day.
Added to What's For Lunch.

10 comments:

  1. hmm, a warm curry bento is just perfect in the winter days..
    I spot the Pororo and friends chopstick case , is it? My daughter loves Pororo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobo -- yes, it's a Pororo utensils case, with chopsticks and spoon. So cute and handy! I got the set as a gift from a friend.

      Delete
  2. Yummy and savory! I like how you put the dry curry in that aluminum box. I will dig to the bottom. Warm rice and curry just so comforting! Couldn't believe there are so many types of curry around the world. Ours however, always use coconut milk (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like coconut milk in curry too, and Thai curries... all curries are delicious!
      Thank you Lia :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, the color is wonderful..
    I just know that we can use applesauce to sweeten it up, thanks Sheri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also grate fresh apple into the sauce too. Very versatile fruit.
      Thanks Yenny!

      Delete
  4. This dry curry idea souds like a perfect way to send more "sneaky" veggies in my little one's lunch bento! I love it...I've got quite a running cookbook through you Sheri! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably make too many similar dishes, with similar veggies, and just slightly different flavors... but then if the kids like it, why mess with it? ^_^
      Thanks a lot berrygirl :D

      Delete
  5. Yum, I'd love to try this! Curry is full of antioxidant power as well as fun exotic flavor...always find healthy new ideas and inspiration here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic word.. antioxidant! I'm happy the kids are eating up curry with more vigor these days, since it is such a favorite of my hubs and me.
      Thanks for your kind words Bentobird!

      Delete