Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sticky Rice Bento

Sticky Rice Bento by sherimiya ♥
Sticky Rice Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
This bento contains sticky rice, one of my favorite one-pot meals (my basic method is here). For this batch I used regular white glutinous (sweet) rice, and mixed with Japanese brown rice. I presoaked for a few hours before cooking, and about 15 minutes before the end of the cycle I added sliced lup cheong, shiitake mushrooms, and shredded baby choy. You can add other ingredients if you like. I've made it with cubed kabocha, which resulted in a nice colorful batch. You can also add in chopped green onion after the rice is finished cooking, which is what I did here. I packed it inside a lettuce leaf, alongside some carved carrots and a piece of corn on the cob, which I decorated with Okinawan sweet potato hearts. The fruit square contains yellow peach, strawberry and blackberry. The last square has yogurt topped with chopped fresh pineapple, sunflower seeds and wheat germ. If I pack yogurt, I try to overlay it with fruit to keep it contained as much as possible. It's actually Greek yogurt, so it's not very runny. I also usually tell MisterMan when there's yogurt in his bento, so he can try to minimize the amount of swinging around he does with it >.<

Finally, remember the Bento & Co contest to "Make a Bento for Someone You Love"? There were 223 entries, from France, USA, Germany, Turkey, Switzerland, England, Norway, Morocco, and Japan. I wanted to thank all of you for voting and supporting my entry. I didn't win the grand prize trip to Kyoto, but I did place high enough in the final 20 to receive a generous gift certificate to Bento & Co! So, thank you very much, bento friends! ^_^

10 comments:

  1. The sticky rice looks yummy! The colors are beautiful. Congrats on the Bento and Co GC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your excellent top 20 showing in the Bento & Co competition! This bento looks delicious - I absolutely love savory sticky rice and will have to try your suggestion to mix it with brown rice. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your Bento & Co contest, you are wonderful!!! :)
    I love to eat sticky rice too, but mostly cook in Chinese style...should try yours one day...looks so delicious and colorful. Love those fresh fruits and sweet corn too....hmmm...yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congrats Sheri for making into the Top 20! I love lup cheong too but never thought of using it this way. Thanks for tips of the yoghurt too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sticky rice. And yours looks irresistible with the brightly colored sides. Yum.
    Congratulations again on your latest bento-achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Sheri...!
    your sticky rice looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your yummy sticky rice here! Colorful bento box and foods, nice to see this. Congrats Sheri for your achievement in Bento & Co Contest! You and your bento are such a great inspiration for us (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your okinawa sweet potato hearts, super cute. May i ask how do you cook your okinawa sweet potato?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Tracey, Emily, Xelia, Debra, Yenny, Lia, and Anon...!

    I steam the Okinawan sweet potato, whole, until tender. About 20 minutes, but depends on the size of the potato. They come out very tasty, just like that :)

    ReplyDelete