Thursday, June 30, 2011

Smoked Salmon Rollups Bento

Today I'm posting TinySprite's bento for her last day at her current preschool. In July she'll switch to another school for the summer program and continue into the fall for the pre-K program there. She requested rollups, so that's what I made. There is smoked salmon, cream cheese and arugula wrapped in corn tortillas. Alongside there's a tiny cup of edamame, some carrots and broccoli, and a few slices of Okinawan sweet potato. In the top tier she has some fruit arranged into a bear's face: oranges, cherries, blackberries, grapes and strawberries. When I picked her up, she had barely touched her bento. It turns out she had been busy passing out almond cookies to her classmates and hugging them, and reporting to everyone that she'll be going to "Garrett's School" (her buddy that lives down the street) now. It was sweet. Everyone yelled "Bye!!" as we walked out. She's a very sociable girl, and while she had made several close friendships at this school, she wasn't worried about losing them or missing them too much. She is very excited about the new school though. When we got home, she made sure to sit down and finish her bento, which she really loved. She only had me to chat with, so she was able to chow down her meal pretty quickly ^_^
I am submitting this bento to the twitter group #bentocuteness, with a roundup being posted by Yuri (@chefpandita) at her site. As soon as the site goes live, I'll link to it here so you can see all the other participants. Since I was invited based on a panda bento, I thought I would enter a panda bento box -- one of my favorites. Thanks for inviting me Yuri, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the other bentos from around the world ^_^
*ETA: The BentoCuteness Roundup has gone live! Here is Chef Pandita's post of all the cute bentos. Take a look and enjoy :D

13 comments:

  1. Lovely! You have some mad skillz--and some lucky children! Inspiration aplenty. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww that a lovely story Sheri! Good luck with new school Lucy! Your bento is so cheerful and colorful! I like the panda(?)'s facial expression with fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TS absolutely melts my heart. What a sweetie...must take after her mom. :)

    Cute bento for a cute (and smart) little one.

    Have a nice July 4th weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the cutest face ever! Like Nancy said, mad skillz, indeed! I bet your little person absolutely loves opening up her bento box every day. Must be like opening a present made with love by Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Panda-panda-fruit bento is absolutely cute! Make me breakfast like this one, please.. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute panda made up of fruits! That's very nice Sheri! :D
    Smoked salmon roll-up with cheese is calling my name! xD
    TS's sociable character is just like my younger daughter! We really don't have to worry they aren't adapting to new environments with everything so new to them! Hope TS will be having fun and love her new school!
    Enjoy your weekend! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just gorgeous Sheri, absolute #bentocuteness all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TS what a cutie! and so is this bento!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Sheri, you're the #bentocuteness leader! I've always said that if I ever have kids I'll make them uber cute bentos for school. You know how much I love pandas so I am dying of panda bento cuteness here :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story about TinySprite, kids are so adaptable. My girl was always finding new "best friends" every time we would go to the park. She's 11 now, and turning into a preteen before my eyes! She is still quite sweet and loves summer fruits like the ones in this fun bento. And I love the addition of arugula to your roll ups, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my, too cute! You rock at making bentos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Nancy, Nami, Debra, Jenni, Panna L, ღ♡Ꮣуռ էяɨռɨא♡ღ, Daily Spud, Kat, Chef Pandita, Michelle, Paula and Cherrie Pie!
    You are all too kind and sweet. I loved doing the bentocuteness challenge and am totally up for the next time when ever :D

    ReplyDelete