Monday, February 14, 2011

Mushroom Bacon Risotto Thermal Bento

Today I'm packing the mushroom and bacon risotto in the Zojirushi Classic thermal bento set. It's a fairly large set, especially for my second-grader, but he's game to try it. He practiced with each of the bowls so I'm confident he can open them all. The smallest bowl is meant to contain the soup, but I've packed veggies in it. I put the risotto in the largest container, which is meant to contain rice. The fruit (which I always include in his bento) is packed in the third container. The way I've packed this set is less than optimal; obviously I don't want all his food to be kept warm, so I have to keep the fruit separate. This defeats the purpose of the thermal set, but I don't see what else I can do about it. At this point, I'm wondering whether this kind of set is the best choice for my purposes. Anyway, after I've heated up the thermal outer container, I'll pack the risotto and the veggies, close the lid, and send the fruit alongside. I've already done a temperature test (I'll post about it later in my full review) and I know the food will stay warm; but we'll see what my 7-year old thinks about his "hot" bento. Fingers crossed!

8 comments:

  1. I want to try this bento box. It's an MRB and I gotta have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely packed Sheri! Can't wait to see your full review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Zojirushi thermal containers because they hold the heat so well, but I do agree that it's nice to have a separate compartment that holds food cold as well. The risotto looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.. so this is just the plastic inner lining? Because it doesn't look so thermal to me.. That risotto looks amazing! Can't wait to see the review from the lil mister too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your risotto looks awesome! I have heard and seen that making risottos are not easy (think Hell's Kitchen). I love your zojirushi thermal container. my coworker has one and his wife puts his lunch in there everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice looking! Yum for the risotto!!
    I wonder what MM said about it?
    Thinking about separate containers... would it be bad if using that type of set with a small thermos and two side containers? I have a Tiger one (comes with a bag) but I think Zojirushi have similar too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lia, Susan, Chantale, Mrs.P and karaimame.
    All good tips and advice! MisterMan packed it, ate from it, and repacked it, even brought it back without any damage or back strain. He thought it was cool :)

    ReplyDelete