Monday, February 7, 2011

Chili and Roasted Veggies Bento

I just realized I used this same bento in my last post, for sticky rice. I think I've had thermal bentos on my brain for awhile, ever since I received a Zojirushi Classic thermal bento set as well as a Stanley thermal food jar from CSN stores to test out and review. I figured with this being winter and all, it would be nice to pack a hot lunch for my kiddos. This thermal set is one I've had awhile, and while it can keep the contents fairly warm, it's not very good at it. Furthermore, it's not leakproof. I don't normally pack soup or watery stews for my kids, so it isn't usually a factor, but it's nice to have an option to do so. Today I made chili. It's layered over rice and it's pretty thick, so there's not much chance of leakage. In the little upper container I've put roasted kabocha and cauliflower, a piece of steamed broccoli and a cherry tomato. I packed the fruit separately since obviously I don't want them to be warm. I packed a very similar bento for my second-grader, using the Stanley jar I mentioned earlier. I'll post an update when it comes back home. Chili and rice! A definite wintery crowd-pleaser.

9 comments:

  1. Funny, hubs made a super rich and thick spaghetti sauce yesterday that K and I had tonight. We're only missing the beans! I'm guessing all the smaller pieces of this set fit into the larger bottom part? The thing with thermal containers.. you really need to test them out to see how hot you can go with the food and how it cools down by the time you open the container to eat. It's always hit and miss for me. : ) This is really a great 'hit the spot' meal for wintry days. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice warm packed bento! I have a problem with one of my thermal set which is so hard to open if I put hot soup in it. Funny that my kids don't like to bring thermal lunch set to school. They said too heavy :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thick spaghetti sauces, none of that watery goo! Only the round tier fits inside. The square one will be carried separately. I think this test will be very interesting for me because I've always been skeptical about how hot it can really stay.

    Lia, I've always wondered about the vacuum that develops when you seal in hot foods. These don't have a release valve so I'm hoping the kids can manage. This will be the first time TS is taking this one, and she couldn't open it herself at home. She'll have to ask her teacher to do it, heh.
    I'm curious to see whether MM will like to carry this heavy set too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hm...you gave me an idea to pack something for my husband using thermal food jar.
    Nice bento, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's the perfect season for thermal bento! Thanks Yenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect meal for a wintery day! Thick sauces are so good and satisfying.
    I can´t wait to see what you are going to pack in your new thermal jars! *excitement!*
    ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chili looks wonderful, nice and thick! You're making me think I need to invest in some thermal bentos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That chili looks like a fantastic winter comfort food, nice and thick and hearty. Did I see carrots in there? What a great idea! A-chan might eat chili if I put carrots in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. karaimame: Thanks for the encouraging excitement! I have to *think think* now...

    Thanks Heather! You may not have the cold weather cravings we have over here, heh. My boy says he wants thermal bento, but only in winter :)

    Thanks Natakiya; I put three color sweet peppers in mine, but you should put carrots if that's what A-chan loves. It sounds wonderfully healthful that way :)

    ReplyDelete